[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Folic Acid/supplements

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:25:47 EDT

Well, Barb was nice enough to share her problem and what her vet and her
own research came up with, that is, that a folic acid deficiency is a no-no
and  that (pregnant) bitches need folic acid.

Turns out most if not all of our dog foods already contain it.  In  fact,
most raw fed dogs probably receive enough too since its found in bone  marrow
and organ meats (although, I'd be clueless on how to exactly measure what
they'd be getting!)

Actually, it's found in a lot more things but my dogs don't routinely  <G>
eat spinach or drink orange juice.

The little bit of info I've seen said 5 mg is recommended especially in
breeds w/ palate (sp?) issues.

I'm with Sally; IF I was going to supplement, I'd use one of the many
pre-natal supplements available for bitches.

I haven't done that in years though; I found most of the stuff was a real
challenge to get them to eat and if I can get a gal to eat well during the
course of her entire pregnancy, I'm apt to leave well enough alone.

I had an interesting comparison 4 years ago; 2 gals bred, first litter  for
each, due within 6 weeks of each other.  Fannie would eat whatever fell  in
her dish, so she got the Solid Gold whelping supplement w/ vitamins and
raspberry leaves which is "supposed" to make whelping easier.  Halfway
through her pregnancy, Mattie would do the doggie equivalent of turning green
as
soon as you put her dish down.  No supplement for Mattie!

Fannie, who had the supplement, had one of the most difficult whelping
experiences I've ever assisted!  She did everything but stand on her head,
actually bit through her tongue at one point and all but two puppies were born
out of the sack.  She needed help w/ every puppy. Several had to be revived
 (love that Nurse Mate ASAP product!!!!) but I did lose the second puppy
born.  The sacks were TISSUE thin.  It really was the delivery from  hell!!!

Mattie, who didn't have (would have never eaten) the supplement, delivered
eleven puppies lickety-split with minimal fuss.   She required little
assistance, but oddly, the sacks were really strong and took quite a bit of
effort to tear.  And I mean QUITE a bit of effort!

So, after that I threw away the supplement <G>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 7/20/2009 7:13:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, RopajaGSD
writes:

Thanks Kathy...I am a little bit puzzled...if the folic acid requirement
is already in the dog food you are using (and it is in mine-BILJAC) why  is
it "being said" that folic acid is recommended for pregnant bitches...if it
is already a component of your dog food...then what is the issue?...maybe my
 addled brain has missed something in those previous posts?    Pauline

Pauline  Moon - _www.ropajagsd.com_ (http://www.ropajagsd.com/)
Ropaja German  Shepherds: Member: GSDCAmercia & GSDCAtlanta - BIS BISS Ch
Ropaja's  Chateau Beaujolais OFA HIC; BISS Ch Ropaja's Chateau Beaulieu OFA
HIC; Our  future: Ropaja's Je Suis Gabrielle; Ropaja's Je Suis Fleur De Lis.

In a message dated 7/20/2009 7:03:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Pinehillgsds writes:

5 mg, but check your dog food...it's probably already in there.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 7/19/2009 9:59:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx writes:

In  any of your research, did anyone see what the recommended dosage for
Folic Acid for pregnant bitches would  be?

What's for dinner tonight? Find _quick  and easy dinner ideas_
(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009)  for any
occasion.

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. _See  Yours in Just 2 Easy  Steps!_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323041x1201367261/aol?redir=http://ww
w.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=JulyExcfooter
NO62)