[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Flowerboy, we are NOT doomed.

  • From: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:05:54 +0000 (UTC)

I don't think Theresa believes that the GSD is doomed it's just me being
dramatic. And I do believe that outcrossing is absolutely necessary to increase
vigor and vitality. There was a person on the list yesterday that said until
health is the number one reason to breed and improve our bred we will continue
to have problems. I said pretty much the same thing a week or so ago. I
currently have a 4 day old litter American line sire and German line dam.This
is the third litter from this combo. None will ever win in a conformation show
but so far the owners of the first two litters are thrilled and I still have
one.  Will these dogs have major health problems in the future? God only knows.
I don't speak for other people but if what Theresa is trying to say is because
of what we are trying to produce, conformation show dogs, we have a very
limited gene pool and over time this can and will lead to things and problems
we don't want. this is something I very much agree with.   speaking of my four
day old litter, it's 100 degree here, how long can I keep them from mom. My
garage is insulated but not air-conditioned . Will be bringing everyone in the
house in the next 5 minutes Ed

     ----- Original Message -----  From: Penny & Bill <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Sent: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:20:27 -0000
(UTC)  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Flowerboy, we are NOT doomed.    I don’t think
that Theresa believes we are doomed, Flowerboy, merely uneducated.  People
invariably believe in the here and now and are not inclined to look backward,
which is exactly what we should do when contemplating a breeding.  WE ARE WHAT
WE WERE certainly applies.  I check old pedigrees ALL the time; with all the
problems there are today, it’s the only way I can educate myself as to WHY.
Breeding is still and will always be a crapshoot, albeit it educated or not.
We have no way of knowing exactly how those genes are going to tumble together.
 As for me, I know one thing:  In the 80s we bred my Ketchy (Caralon’s
Ketchikan of Huslyn, CGC, CD, OFA) to a half German/American male and ALL of
those puppies lived to 14-17 years of age.  What a wonderful breeding.  I must
be dumb because it’s taken me this long to realize that I need an infusion of
German blood for longevity and vitality.  I am a slow learner.    Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever    If anybody IS interested in the past, a great book to
read would be The German Shepherd Today by Wynn Strickland.  It includes many
old pedigrees and loads of pictures/pedigrees of American dogs right up to the
late 80s.  It’s a good book to see WHERE we came from.
Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.     Each Author is responsible for
the content of his/her post.  This group and its administrators are not
responsible for the comments or opinions expressed in any post.    ALL PERSONS
ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY
MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL
VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.     For
assistance, please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx    VISIT