[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fistula Treatment?

  • From: "Destinogs1" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "destinogs1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: suzannejambe@xxxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:06:43 -0400

I am now treating two old dogs that have peri-anal fistulas.  The current
treatment here is cyclosporin (Atopica) once a day.  This is in a capsule and
Keflex 500 mg, morning and night.  I've been treating them for two months now
and the condition is improving.  The vet here said it could take several months
to resolve it.  In addition, we used laser therapy, twice a week, to the area.
The thought on the laser was to increase circulation to the area and that it
would possibly help to shorten the healing time.  This still not an inexpensive
treatment.  The Atopica is still very expensive.

As a side note, my vet never mentioned surgery at all.  I believe that years
ago, surgery had been tried.  I've never had to deal with this in 40+ years of
owning GSD's, but the vet said that GSD's are one of the breeds that it is
common in.

I've never heard of anyone using Metronidazole for the treatment.  I have heard
of using Panalog topically to help with infection.

To keep the area around the rectum clean, I was told to use Chlorhex 2% diluted
2 Tablespoons to a Gallon of water.  I spray the rectum and blot it with a
paper towel.

Hope this info. helps.

Mary