[ SHOWGSD-L ] First Experience Herding

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:41:48 -0600

Hi All -

Just wanted to post about our first experience herding... In one word *AWESOME*.

I have put lots of titles on dogs (breed, obedience, tracking, etc), but
decided that I wanted to see if my two GSDs and any herding instinct at all. I
figured the youngster "Pepper" might as she herds the grandkids, other dogs,
etc around.. "Simmie", the Senior I wasn't sure about.

Our instructor decide we would try the girls inside, so I brought Pepper in
first.. There were sheep in a seperate pen and then sheep being worked by the
dog a head of us... Pepper's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. She walked up
to the pen with the sheep and when they moved, she followed them. She saw the
dog a head of us bring the sheep around the corner and I thought she was going
to climb through the pen. You could just see the look on her face... After the
dog a head of us was done, we put Pepper on a rope and let walked her up to the
sheep and she was already weaving back and forth on the rope, so we let her go
for a bit and you could see her brain kick in to drive... She was in HOG
heaven.. There was no attempting to grab, or anything, just trying to keep her
flock of sheep together...  One of her flock got loose and you could see her
trying to figure out to get that stray sheep back.. It was probably the most
beautiful thing I have seen.  I also enjoyed watching her do all of it at a
full out trot - she very, very rarely galloped.

We brought Simmie and I wasn't sure what she would do at 8 years old... It took
her a moment and then the light went on with her too. She was really good at it
also - not as "into it" as Pepper was, but knew what she was supposed to be
doing... As the instructor said "I guess they have instinct"... I am not sure
how many titles I can get on an 8 year old gal, but we'll see what we can do,
and as for Pepper, she says she was a born herding dog...

Too cool!

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (all excited newbies)