[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fire at Dog Show in NoCal....what I know

  • From: Kay Springer <showgsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:58:22 -0800

It was at the Santa Clara KC show in San Jose in Northern California.
Happened late morning off to the side and behind one of the buildings
where we were showing.  This is what I have heard from friends who
were there when it happened.  (GSDs showed at 8:30 so we were at
breakfast when I got the call) The van or box van's fire started in
the engine although nothing had been on in the van for 2 hours
according to one of the handlers or assistants.  I was told it
belonged to Gustavo Molinaro possibly from So. CA. who primarily
handles terriers.    Two cairns terriers died  - supposedly they were
inside the van in  vari-kennel type crates  which melted. A smooth fox
was burned but it believed it will be ok.  Other dogs were injured but
will survive.  Some people had minor burns who were helping remove the
dogs from I believe x-pens.  My Wheaten friends who were there and
called me said the van was a complete fireball so much so that they
couldn't tell what kind of a van or box van it was.  There were
explosions and loud booms coming from the vehicle and the vehicle
completely engulfed in flames plus lots and lots of black smoke.
Please do not take all of this information as factual, as it is just
want I have been told by people who saw it and talked to some of the
other handlers who were helping.  I am hoping it is not as bad as it
sounds.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Multi-BISS & Multi-Group Winning
Ch. Rohan's Reward TC,CGC,HT,RE,CDX,
"Strider" 75 BOBs - #5 & #6 GSD 2000

any post.