[ SHOWGSD-L ] Film on the destruction of the GSD

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSD list" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:08:03 -0700

Hi Jackie...

I think the point may be that the fellow producing this has been
against American GSD's and German GSD for a long time, contending that
he is the custodian of the Real GSD.

Fact is, the standard is the prescription of what the dog should be,
not this video, or this opinion or any of our personal opinions unless
they line up to the standard. The standard is the dog, not You Tube.

Whether totally accurate or not the system of judging to that standard
establishes the records of the breed not a still framed video of a
non-competitive critic. I know, some judges are blind, some are
ignorant and some frustrate the life out of us, but they are the
people who are in there because they have established their
credibility in the crucible of breeding, learning and testing and by
and large, they do a really good job. So when 'Mr.
I-know-it-all-and-only-I-have-real-GSD's' attempts to discredit the
system, some laugh, some cry and most of us just cringe.

I personally would rather listen to those who compete, those who serve
as judges and custodians of the breed than those who are not involved
in the process but choose to throw stones anyway. Yes, the breed could
improve and it has and it will. But when a fellow does not know the
difference between a straight back and a parallel line, I just might
pass on listening.

Anyway, what do I know. I'm still a novice with oh so much to learn.
Dave