[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ferrum and History of the breed and breeders

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:38:31 EST

Interesting thing about copywrites...If they are not recorded with the US
Copywrite office, they can be copied, duplicated, used, etc, and the originator

has no recourse in law. You cannot sue someone for using your stuff, (Well,
you  can sue, but you cannot collect). You can put the copywrite symbol all
over it,  and it has no weight in a courtroom.  I believe it costs $40. to
register a  single piece of original "stuff"...art, music, photos, manuscripts,
etc.
 Syd

In a message dated 11/24/2008 5:32:15 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Not that I'm intereseted in getting in a pissing match,.

One could argue that the content is not hers(photo's and  pedigrees), meaning
she holds no copywrite for this information. The design  might be.somehow
copywritable, but even that would be a fine line.If she has  created "Artwork"
of
the dogs, that may be considered hers and copywritable -  however she used a
source that was not hers, nor was she authorized by the  dog's owners to use
them. To some degree it's a two way street.

Let me use this as an example, I considered copywritng my cute  little show
calendar and chatted with a CopyWrite lawyer. His opinion was that  I was using
readily available information therefore it is was not  copywritable, I then
asked about the format I designed for the display, and he  thought that was
borderline and would not likely hold up under a legal battle

With that said, if she is approached by the PC web committee  and declines to
allow for migration so be it.

Her information  is easily replicable and a matter of public/club records and
I will push for  the inclusion of more historical information like this on
the PC website. So  we reformat it, and be done with it.

Mike the wizzer ;-)