[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fencing and puppy buyers

  • From: Tindrock1@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 13:53:11 EST

This was a pretty interesting topic and I think I will add my 2 cents,  which
is just my own opinion, so Evan, no wise cracks please.  (Evan is  always the
first one to criticize me for whatever I write, which is  probably why I
don't write that much---one day Evan will stop criticizing  me and then I will
be
upset that he stopped).  Go figure.   LOL  Anyhow, when I sell puppies, of
course I prefer to sell them to  owners who have fenced in yards.  Will I sell
puppy to someone who  doesn't have a fenced in yard?  The answer depends on
the character of the  people.  I myself (when I was a newly wed) bought a GSD
puppy without  having a fenced in yard.  But we certainly put one up soon after
purchasing  the puppy!!!!!!!  I don't think they had the invisible fences at
that time,  (yes, I'm THAT old),  but I doubt I would have bought that because
of the  fact that it doesn't stop people and other animals coming into your
yard.   I think it is very dangerous for people and animals to be able to come
into your  yard, but your dog(s) cannot go out.  How could your pet ever defend
itself  against a pack of coyotes or something like that?  Anyhow, I now
fence my  yard and house like a fortress.  I don't want my dogs leaving and I
don't  want anyone coming in that hasn't been invited.  In fact, when I was
putting additional fencing around my property 2 months ago, I had the fence
company take down the double gate because it was not sturdy enough for me (or
my
dogs, of course).  I had them take it down at my expense and put up another
panel and just a single gate, that has 3 locks and is practically  immovable.
You would never even know there is a gate there.  Anyhow,  that's how I am now.

I am for protecting our beautiful GSD's and keeping  my liability down!
Thanks for listening. Cheryl  Olson/Tindrock