[ SHOWGSD-L ] Feinstein response to my PAWS email

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, linnloch@xxxxxxxxxxx, rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:24:00 EDT

This is truly amazing. I wrote a letter to Senator Feinstein stating my
opposition to PAWS and listing a number of reasons.  The first sentence read
that I
urged her to OPPOSE the passage of PAWS.  This request to oppose PAWS was
stated several times very clearly throughout the letter.

Today I received the response below, thanking me for my position of SUPPORT
FOR PAWS!!!!!

Of course my reply to her was not nice. Being born and raised in San
Francisco and living in the Bay Area my entire life, I have been a support of
the
Senator. That just ended!

Kay Springer

In a message dated 8/9/05 8:52:38 AM, senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<

Dear Ms. Springer:

      Thank you for writing to express support for the bill S.

1139, also known as the "Pet Animal Welfare Statute of 2005."  I

appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to

respond.

    You will be pleased to know that I am a cosponsor of the

"Pet Animal Welfare Statute of 2005."  This bill would amend the

Animal Welfare Act's definition of animal "dealers" and add a

definition for "retail pet stores."  Like you, I care about the welfare

of our pets and believe that this bill would help close a loophole

that currently allows some large commercial breeders to avoid the

animal treatment standards set forth in the Animal Welfare Act.

      Currently, S. 1139 has been referred to the Senate

Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry.  Although I am

not a member of this committee, please know that as a cosponsor

of this bill I will do what I can to support its passage.

    Again, thank you for writing to me.  I hope that you will

continue to keep me informed about matters of importance to you.

If you have further questions or need assistance in the future,

please feel free to call my Washington, D.C. staff at (202) 224-

3841.