[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Feeding Times

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:01:25 EST

When we are home, feeding time is on a regular schedule.  We as humans tend
to "get hungry" at whatever our regular meal times are and can't imagine the
dogs are any different.  If I'm the one who is "running behind," the dogs let
me
know it is time to eat and Fiona in particular will do things like picking up
and shaking a throw rug or dog bed mattress in front of me to get my
attention if I am on the phone, computer or otherwise ignoring her.  Sort of
like a
human two year old -- if I get on the phone, she finds a way to attract my
attention.  If we are traveling, they don't get as insistent as if we are just
hanging out at home.
The routine here, since I retired, is: the dogs wake me and et me know they
need to go out between 5:00 and 5:30 am.  They are out about 15 minutes, then
come back in and are happy to nap until 6:30 am at which time they start
getting in my face.  If I try to ignore them and catch another 40 winks,
Santana
will lay his big head on my chest and if I ignore that, he will lay his whole
front end on my chest and no one can ignore that!  I fix their breakfast, they
eat and then nap until 9:00 am when they get to go out and play until noon,
depending on the weather.  They nap until 2:30 to 3:00 PM when they go out
again
for an hour.  At 5:00 PM they expect their dinner and if I am "otherwise
engaged," they start by parading past wherever I am sitting, all three of them
taking turns.  If I continue to ignore them, Fiona takes the lead and will sit
in
the hall and make soft little noises -- a cross between a whine and a growl --
and if that fails after a few minutes she starts with the picking up and
waving about the throwrugs, dog bed mattresses, etc.  They stay in the house
until
6:00 PM when, again depending on the weather, they go out until 7:30 or 8:00
PM. In nice weather we may all be outside together, with the weather like now,
they are in and we play ball or do nails or such. They go out for the last
time at night at 10:00 PM and then it is lights out.

If we are traveling, they rest quietly in their crates, even if it is past
dinner time or if we are in a hotel room and I'm busy unpacking, etc., they
indulge me and just wait it out.

Yes, they are quite spoiled.  If they are in for nap time and I am busy on
the computer, they will, one at a time, come up and bump my arm for a pat, just
to remind me they are around.
Betty Johnson
Tintagel