[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Favorite Dog childrens books

  • From: "Peggy M" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:33:56 -0400

Most of the dog books I read as a child (there WERE dozens of them and I
read every single one in the library) are not available these days.
but you could try finding:

Where the Red Fern Grows (about a boy and his bluetick hounds)

The Biscuit Eater  (also an old movie made in the 40s but remade in 1972)

Riff  (about an English Setter...I don't remember the entire title)

Beautiful Joe (reprinted, I think, and available at Amazon)

Lassie Come Home, by Eric Knight   (also a film, of course)

The Voice of Bugle Ann  (available at Amazon)  (this one is a classic tale)

Goodbye My Lady (about a Basenji)

almost any of the Terhune books...Lad A Dog, Wolf, etc.
  (that's Albert Payson Terhune)

Big Red, by Jim Kjelgaard  (an Irish Setter --- also a film)

dozens of others, but the names are gone from my mind now...............

It also depends on the reading level of your 10 year olds.  Some don't read
as well as others....

Other than Where the Red Fern Grows, Beautiful Joe, and the Bugle Ann book,
I would think you'd have a hard time finding most of these today except
maybe at an old books store.   They fell from favor because they often had
sad parts and today we think kids can't handle that true-to-life stuff.

Peggy