[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fault-Free-Yeah Right!!!

  • From: gsdlady28@xxxxxxx
  • To: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:35:33 -0500

I have been breeding for over 30 years, and realistically, I know most people
will not willingly give up the goods on their studs, unless you ask them
directly because you are breeding a bitch to their boy....and then you get the
lovely ones, whom I will not mention names of, but who will say " Not that I
know of ...." and so you breed to them, and lo and behold you get the very
fault you were trying to avoid...and of course then the answer is " I never
have had this happen before, you are the first one"  and then upon further
chatter with others who have had the same thing happen, LONG BEFORE you even
bred to the dog, and you were told that the stud owner most definately DID know
about the fault, and lied to you! I have had this hapen to me personally, and
have seen it happen to clients and friends....I don't need advice on how to
breed my bitch or pick a stud, I do know what i am doing...I just saw the list
of sires who dont carry the coat gene (which by the way might not b
 e a selling point if you have a close coated bitch and actually want to breed
to a male who carries the coat gene or is coated...whether a male carries the
coat gene would only concern me if I was breeding a coated bitch or a very
close coated bitch, like my Roxy years ago for anyone who remembers her)
anyway, I saw the list and thought "wouldnt it be nice if we could do this on a
wider basis". I have my own list of what I know, and do my homework before
breeding, and know exactly what I am looking to get or avoid when I breed a
bitch. A list was just an idea to make the search for a stud easier and
quicker....it is so very interesting that a suprising number are either
threatened or offended by the thought of such a thing! As for a sire who
produces a small number of puppies with a particular fault, that is called
luck!  With the simple genes, not the complex ones with varying factors and
mutations etc... but the simple ones like coat and missing teeth...either you
carry it
  or you dont.  There is no such thing as a male who carries "a light coat
factor", because he has only produced a handful of coats...the percentages on
genetics are based on 100 puppies out of the same combination, and usually it
works out about right if you have a nice big litter, but it is possible to
breed a male to a coat and get 10 pups with no coats and then assume he does
not carry it,and then repeat it and get all coats! It has happened...unless you
have either 100 puppies out of the same sire and dam, or the marker is
identified and tested for, you cannot be 100% certain anyway. So if a male has
thrown a few coats out of 10 litters, or had a few missing teeth in a few
litters, all it means is he carries it and you have been either lucky, or most
of the bitches he was bred to did not carry it. If you bred him to 10 bitches
who all had missing teeth, or you knew carried it, you would get missing teeth
in all of the litters. I am totally not trying to knock any stud he
 re....for example, I like Bull Durham, and the fact that he throws missing
teeth would not stop me from breeding a bitch to him, but I would not breed my
bitch who is missing a tooth to him.....and I don't care what some people say,
serious breeders who are really trying to get rid of or avoid certain faults or
problems would find such a list useful and would take it seriously...and no,
until the genetic markers have been identified for various faults and tested
for, it would not be the end all and would change as time goes on and a dog
that has never produced a coat suddenly produces one, or puppies grow up and
you realize you did get missing teeth, but it would be a good resource and save
people a lot time when looking for a stud...I dont think information is ever a
bad thing!

Maggie Marshall
Aeval German Shepherds
http://hometown.aol.com/gsdlady28/index.html