[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fault-Free? NAW

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <psharp212@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 23:25:29 -0800

Well FIRST.......I can't work on the List because there is no way of knowing
until the stud's career
is about over.......and I'm not perfect enough to put together such a perfect
list anyway.   <G>
If you need to know if a dog does or does not carry a certain problem you are
concerned about
ultimately you have to ask the stud owner anyway so I just leave it at that.
As an example.......my list of dogs that do not carry the coat
factor.......ever notice that often some
dogs are removed.    Owner really is convinced their stud dog doesn't carry the
coat factor and
then after a few more litters...............OOOOOPS!!!
Well the same thing happens with every other fault you think your dog is free
of a lot of the times.
If the bitch comes from a line with certain problems and has proven to produce
them....if you
continue to use the bitch and that line......you will continue the problem.
NO stud can solve it.
Maybe in one litter you may not get it......but most of the pups will be
carriers anyway.    You've
gained nothing unless you find the one pup that does not carry it.    By
then....you've invested
years and more breedings.....and likely brought in a new problem in the process
of trying to
eliminate the ONE!

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

  Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:51:03 -0500
  From: gsdlady28@xxxxxxx

  You are missing the point of a "fault free list"  it is not a list of dogs
that dont produce any faults....of course no such list would exist unless the
dogs were never bred!     It is a list of what faults dogs either DO or
  DON't produce, and it would be "doing your homework" to have and use such a
list!   It would be used for "weighing the good with the bad" and obviously you
have to know your own lines for it to be of any use
   to you. I DO know my  lines and missing teeth is something I am concerned
with....if I had a coated bitch
  or a bitch with a very close coat, then I would be concerned with the coat
factor...if I had bloat or torsion
   in my lines, I would be  extra careful about that in a stud...it is all
about not throwing out the baby with
   the bathwater...just because a dog or bitch produces a fault doesnt mean you
dont breed them,
  depending on how serious the fault was, you breed them carefully and do your
homework on the stud
  you choose,hence a list of what a male does or does not produce would be
useful when you are trying
   to offset faults or improve a problem in your lines...and as far as why a
list of studs and not bitches...
  I would say most stud dog owners dont go hunting down the perfect bitch to
breed to their boy, and then
   ship them across the country to breed to said bitch....it is the bitch
owners who would find the list most useful,
  and they would be aware (ideally anyway) of the faults their bitch does or
may produce, and THAT is the whole point of having such a list! For people who
DO want to do their homework and KNOW their own lines and faults they are
trying to outbreed....It would simply be nice to have some kind of a list of
popular studs and what they are known to produce or not produce...like i said
earlier, we all kind of have this list in our heads
  when we are looking for a stud anyway....

  "Gee, I like dog X but I heard he throws blues, and I know I have blues back
there so not him....and I like dog A, but I heard he throws mega, and even
though I dont have that problem, I dont want to get into that....hhhmmmm I
  really like dog B too, and I dont think he throws coats or blues and he has
everything I want...I wonder if he throws missing teeth, because I know my
bitch does...." So then you ask the stud owner and hope they are honest, and
ask others who have bred to him if they got any...etc...

  It is a tedious process sometimes, as you go through reviews and make a list
  of dogs you like, and then cross off the dogs who would double up on faults
  you already have or are trying to stay away from.  It would just be nice if
  we all were a little more open and honest and shared info on what we DO
  know...there are enough "unknowns"  and suprises out there when you breed as
  it is....a refrence list putting info that is known but scattered and
  fragmented on stud dogs together all in one place would be an invaluable
  tool for breeders who are seriously trying to imrove their lines and the
  breed in general....JMHO

  Maggie Marshall
  Aeval German Shepherds
  http://hometown.aol.com/gsdlady28/index.html