[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fault Finding Leads to Mediocrity!

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <zanebgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:58:53 -0800

GSD can't be compared to Cats in breed characteristics.   Cats are long and
flexible for leaping and
climbing and slipping around branches and into smaller spaces.   Their limbs
are  powerful in a
thicker gripping way than canines and their back is not utilized the same for
long distance trotting
and stamina......but more for the flexible BURST of acceleration and leaping on
prey.
The GSD  length does not come from the middle-piece but from the BREADTH of the
front and
rear quarters......for power and strength.   The length does not come from the
back or loin.
I don't know anything about Dals except that they don't have the same broad
quarters and long
croup.
If you are talking about breeding  I don't believe it is easy to breed out a
bad back in the GSD!!!
In my opinion I can recognize some lines by the poor backs.
It's a serious weakness for the dog breaking down over time.    Their back is
their support system
and the bridge that transmits their rear drive and powerful thrust to the
forehand.
To me a bad back IS mediocrity........a weakness to tire a dog for any work.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com