[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FYI..OT RE: AKC Mixed Breed Program

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, "'showgsd-list showgsd-list'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 13:32:12 -0700

In My opinion, this will be the death of the sport of purebred dogs and
should be against everything that the American Kennel Club stands for, what
it was developed for and what it's own charter, Mission Statement and
Objectives purport:

Mission Statement:
The American Kennel Club is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its
Registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and
function. Founded in 1884, the AKCR and its affiliated organizations
advocate for the purebred dog as a family companion, advance canine health
and well-being, work to protect the rights of all dog owners and promote
responsible dog ownership.

AKC 's Objective:
. Advance the study, breeding, exhibiting, running and maintenance of
purebred dogs.

Interestingly enough, while I was on the Board, at the July 08 meeting, the
Board was told by the AKC Delegate that the AKC was not going to devote any
more resources to develop this program, yet here we are.

From AKC Delegate's 07/08 Report:

From the June 08 Delegates Meeting:  Judith Daniels, Delegate for the Mt.
Baker Kennel Club, speaking as Chairman of the Bylaws Committee presented
the following resolution, which was overwhelmingly adopted: "It is the
consensus of the AKC Delegates in attendance at the June 9, 2008 meeting,
that the Board of Directors take no final action regarding the listing,
enrolling or registering of mixed-breed dogs and the sponsoring of
competition events for Mixedbreed dogs without the approval of the AKC
Delegates."

At the July AKC Board meeting the board - Subject Mixed Breeds
"The Board discussed the issue of a mixed-breed program and whether staff
should continue to devote significant resources to its preparation of a
plan.  There was a Board consensus not to move forward at this time.  Of the
606 member clubs, staff had received completed surveys from only 19.  All
survey responses received, as well as any other communication about the
subject, will be compiled and presented to the Board for consideration at
its August meeting"

At the two following meetings I attended, I do not recall anything being
mentioned that the development and implementation of this program was
proceeding again.  IMO, this is a wrong step for the American Kennel Club to
be taking, especially when the AKC Delegates made resolutions against such a
thing.

Kathaleen