[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FYI

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peggy" <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>, susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:19:15 -0500

This is a good point..as the lab is also a versatile breed..there are very
big differences between field trial Labs and conformation Labs..yet the
conformation doesn't seem to suffer from the diversity within the
breed..entries always seem large. this breed is too subject to similar
health issues..and that hasn't hurt its popularity nor has it discouraged
people form showing in conformation. I know there has to be politics
involved within their breed..just like ours.. Perhaps one factor is that
this breed is not handler dominated like ours is. since extensive gaiting
is not involved in this breed..more owners can handler their own dogs. One
other thing to consider..the GSD is probably one of the most difficult
breeds to breed correctly. Having only been slightly involved in one other
breed I can tell you that..success in many cases can be met more quickly in
breeding many other breeds than in GSD's. Being successful is a driving
force in keeping people interested in any dog sport.   Also..success is
more quickly met in performance venues..than in conformation, perhaps this
explains its growing popularity. More importantly..maybe attitudes are
different within other breeds that ours. We spend a great deal of time
arguing over "my dog is better than your dog" instead of embracing the
diversity with the breed. Performance people trash conformation people and
vise versa. We pay lip service to the total dog.but performance people
don't have selects on their dogs..and conformation people don't have
performance titles on theirs..yet each wants to believe they are correct in
their "interpretation" of the standard and what the they feel the breed was
"meant" for. this has nothing really to do with the GSD..but has much more
to do with overblown egos and wanting to be "right" and arguing for the
sake of arguing. As with most problems it is "human" related..thank
goodness the GSD will thrive despite us! C.Grainger

AMerican Spaniel Club is a specialty club of ALL the spaniel breeds, not
just one and is held in conjunction with Westminster.  There may be others
such as Poodle Club of AMerica which includes all three varieties as does
the Collie Club of AMerica.  Some of the specialty clubs could also be
group specialties such as the New England Toy Breeds club.  We are still
awfully low for  a breed with as large a registration as we have. We need
to look at other breeds and see what they are doing right.
> >Susan
> >
> >Subject: Re: FYI
> >
> >Ellie Carson sent this info in her Red Book board report. I asked her if
I could post to the list. It is food for thought.

> >.... There were over 2000 Specialty (conformation) shows in 2004. The
GSDCA National ranked #51 with 244 entries (in 2003, we were #45 with 270
entries). The top 25 Specialty shows by entry ranged from the #1 American
Spaniel Club with 740 entries to #25 Irish Wolfhound Club of America with
322 entries. Interestingly, there were 4 non-national club specialties in
the top 25.

> >Rita Sandell
> >

> >Susan w. Sullivan
> >Firethorn Farm
> >German Shepherd Dogs
> >Where Form Follows Function

=
> >POST is Copyrighted 2005.  All material remains the property of the
> >
> >ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS