[ SHOWGSD-L ] FWD" A SAOVA message

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:13:49 EDT

 A SAOVA message to sportsmen, pet owners and farmers concerned
 concerned about protecting their traditions, avocations and
 livelihoods from
 anti-hunting, anti-breeding, animal guardianship advocates.
 Forwarding
 and cross posting, with attribution, encouraged.
 HTML Attachment [ Download File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]
 Dear sportsmen, animal owners, clubs and others opposed to S1139
 (PAWS):

 The first and likely only S1139 fact-finding hearing is expected to
 be scheduled in the very near term, perhaps by October 7, 2005. SAOVA
 is concerned that Senator Santorum's PAWS bill may not get thorough
 scrutiny by the Senate Agriculture Committee due to the press of
 Hurricane Katrina and Rita responses, U.S. Supreme Court vacancies,
 government spending bills and other congressional business. This
 situation is compounded by Senator Santorum's chairmanship of the
 eleven member subcommittee which plans to hold what could be the only
 PAWS fact-finding hearing.

 That subcommittee's staff reports to Mr. Santorum and has indicated
 the only testimony received during the hearing will be from parties
 that support the bill's basic premise, i.e., that the Animal Welfare
 Act's regulation of pet animal care needs a total overhaul. It's
 possible that the few subcommittee members present during such a
 hearing will hear one-sided, biased testimony favoring this
 devastating bill and little more. A six member quorum could
 subsequently report out a cosmetically amended PAWS bill for full
 committee consideration.

 All of our efforts to-date to educate legislators about PAWS's
 adverse impacts will have been wasted if the full committee
 rubberstamps a bill developed through such a process. Should the full
 Agriculture Committee report out S1139, the Senate will pass it. We
 need to immediately launch an aggressive program to ensure all
 parties concerned with PAWS are permitted to testify and that our
 legislative supporters attend both the subcommittee fact-finding
 hearing and any PAWS markup session.

 Considering the havoc caused by Hurricane Katrina and the outpouring
 of generosity recently shown by so many of you - it is with great
 reluctance that I ask for contributions to implement this NO PAWS
 program.

 An ad hoc group of three organizations that have taken a high profile
 in this legislative struggle need your monetary assistance to fully
 respond to this threat to our way of life. The three groups
 cooperating in this effort are the Sportsmen's and Animal Owners'
 Voting Alliance, the North Carolina Responsible Animal Owners'
 Alliance and the Dog Federation of Wisconsin. These organizations
 have already gone on record with the Senate Agriculture Committee,
 opposing PAWS. Our August 28, 2005 filing may be viewed here.

 Cover Letter
 PAWS Opponents List
 Santorum Rebuttal
 Helsdon PAWS Analysis
 Ann Billington Letter

 Even the most dedicated and experienced advocates, carrying out the
 best designed lobbying program, can only do so much when matched
 against the resources of the AKC, HSUS, DDAL, ASPCA and PETA. Our NO
 PAWS program's anticipated out-of-pocket expenses for the
 congressional session ending this fall are $15,000, less than 0.5% of
 what we estimate AKC alone has spent trying pass PAWS. Consider what
 you have invested your animals and what you spend on them annually.
 Please find a way to support this critical, pro-active NO PAWS
 effort. Time is of the essence.

 To make a supporting donation:

 1. Use your credit card via PayPal on the SAOVA Website:
http://saova.org
 Mark "Oppose PAWS".

 2. Or send a check, payable to "SAOVA"
 and mark "Oppose PAWS"
 Checks should be mailed to:
 The Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance (SAOVA)
 Attention: Bob Kane
 559 Thoroughfare Road
 Brightwood, Virginia, 22715

 Thank you to the members of the Sawnee Mountain Kennel Club of
 Georgia and the Dog Federation of Wisconsin for their early
 donations!

 Please forward and cross post widely.

 Sincerely,
 Bob Kane
 Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance -
 Working to identify and elect supportive legislators
 ** Oppose S1139/HR2669 (PAWS) **
http://saova.org/1139opponents.html

 Plain Text Attachment [ Download File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

 The message above was posted to West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan,
 Indiana,
 Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri residents by the
 Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance (SAOVA) on one of ten
 regional read only elists.

 SAOVA is a nonpartisan volunteer group working to protect Americans
 from the legislative and political threats of radical animal
 rightists. It
 is the only national organization fighting this struggle for both
 sportsmen and animal owners, natural allies, in these arenas. Visit
 our
 website at http://saova.org for this program's goals, methodology and
 list
 signup details.