[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FW: s...say WHAT?

  • From: "Chris S. Kimerer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: SHOW LIST <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:10:03 -0700

You are absolutely correct, way too many vet's seeing loving pet owners coming
thru the doors and doing surgeries that some humans would not opt for, let
alone putting a wonderful dog thru it!  Quality of life should always outweigh
quantity of time, we don't get that option usually with humans, but can
certainly do the right thing for our canine companions.
With that said, there are many many good quality vets as well, and as always,
it's a few bad apples .....

like a statement and not just a question.  The original was a question, the
secondary sentence stating "I know it does happen", is certainly a statement.

Been in this a long time now as well, and personally don't know of any person
or any dog that has had this done just for the sake of showing the dog.

If reporters dig long and hard enough, they can certainly come up with
"sources" that pretty much will say what they want to write, it's been that way
for a long time and in many different areas.  Unfortunately so many of us, me
included, are the "silent majority" that just keep doing what we do and as
usual, the squeaky wheels.....

I know Stormy works hard on keeping us informed on legislative stuff, others
with the breed specifics, and I a lot of times just shake my head and then do
nothing.  Not that I don't care, get mad about it etc. but just don't have the
time or energy to spend on that after a full day of work, I would rather spend
that with my dogs, friends and husband.  :)

I'm glad there are those that do though, thanks!!!!!

Chris

Chris S. Kimerer
Hillside-Tanbark Kennels     http://www.tanbarkgsd.com/
            "where good bloodlines never die"

>________________________________

 lot of this kind of extreme treatment.
>Some will love those kind of clients and try to lead them down a very
>expensive path.    Really too bad....
>
>Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>www.marhaven.com

 The Dog Press/hips...say WHAT?

>Carolyn, years ago we did have a call from some
>people who had some serious structural problems
>with their GSD. They had replaced one hip and
>scheduled replacement for another, they had
>surgery on both elbows and a spinal surgery  for
>sacral stenosis. The dog was a mess and they
>wanted my recommendations and breed specific
>information of those problems. I went to their
>house to see a much loved dog, hobbling around in
>misery and obviously, as they said, a mess. How
>was it, they asked, that we GSD breeder could let
>our breed get into such a mess.
>
>My first observation was that the dog looked sort
>of like a GSD but was not typical of what I was
>used to. It did have pointed upright ears, but....
>So I asked further. They had bought the dog from a
>'reputable' breeder in a small town south of us,
>who knew all the leaders in the breed and had been
>breeding for
 years. When she mentioned the name, I
>started laughing. The lady had put up a rather
>impressive web site, had represented herself to be
>an expert on all things and was, well, a breeder
>of championship illusions. The dogs were Shiloh's
>and not very good ones at that. The litter was her
>first and last, as she only sold two of them and
>was stuck with the rest. It was all smoke and
>mirrors. They were not GSD's at all and were
>registered to some kennel club that I've never
>heard of...
>
>So, yes, I know of someone who did hip replacement
>surgery on their dog. The poor thing had to be put
>down for multiple reasons before its last
>replacement surgery could take place. They are now
>happy with a real GSD of excellent health and
>temperament that they got on our recommendation to
>a real breeder - YOU! Thank you for what you do!
>Dave

 a few people involved in the Breed...showing
>and breeding and training, from the West Coast to
>the East Coast...and I literally know of NO ONE
>that has had hip replacement done on ANY dog let
>alone one of their
>SHOW dogs!   What would be the point?
>As Kathy said....it must be a "different
>circle"....?
>
>I often wonder who they interview and where they
>get some of this
>information for some of these articles...??   I
>really wish there
>was some obligation for them to list their
>sources...and how many it took for it to be listed
>as a "Breed problem"....??
>
>Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>www.marhaven.com

 message dated 6/16/2014 1:42:27 P.M. Eastern
>Daylight Time, dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>How many  know GSDs that have hips replaced that
>are shown?  I know it does  happen so who is to
>know.

>==========================
>POST is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains
>the property of the original
>author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO
>REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any
>kind are permitted without prior permission of the
>original author AND of
>the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
>
>Each Author is responsible for the content of
>his/her post.  This group and
>its administrators are not responsible for the
>comments or opinions
>expressed in any post.
>
>ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE
 FORWARDING,