[ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: s/n conference

  • From: "Cyndi Flautt" <caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 22:33:09 -0500

SPAN is a collaboration of animal welfare groups in the state whose goal is
to decrease unwanted/euthanized animals by providing spay & neuter
services.....Brandon Kennel Club (among many other organizations) has
provided a grant to help with spay/neuter in our county.  MS Span is not for
mandatory spay and neuter, but some of the attendees of the conference
were...only one speaker actually mentioned it, and believe it or not, he is
a vet at MS. State Vet School, who has received grants from HSUS, AND the
AKC.....There was a gal from HSUS there who spoke about marketing s/n in
Miss....and it was quite obvious that they are spending a good deal of money
in the state.(everywhere else, too).  A guy from the ASPCA spoke, and said
one thing I found very interesting.......He said that there are
groups/organizations who work to change people's opinions...and that they
are working toward changing opinions about spay/neuter...breeding,
etc......He gave the example of how opinions about smoking have changed over
the last 15-20 years........That got me thinking about the recent posts
regarding the decrease in AKC registrations/litters.....And that these big
organizations are working very hard to change public opinion about purebred
dogs and their breeders.....ie: the politically correct thing to do is to
get a dog from a shelter...........So on that note...besides having fun with
our dogs, breeding, showing, competing, etc...we all should be promoting our
breed, and responsible dog ownership to those in our local communities.
Otherwise public opinion will eventually change, and we will be perceived as
the bad guys, rather than responsible people who love our dogs.

Thanks for listening,

Cyndi

www.carettigsd.com <http://www.carettigsd.com/>