[ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: Please help save K9 Saxon from being euthanized

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 1:27:57 -0400

PLEASE HELP !!

From: Linda Kury [mailto:lindakury@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 11:53 PM
To: Margery Golant
Subject: FW: Please help save K9 Saxon from being euthanized

-----Original Message-----
From: meb [mailto:mebmeb001@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 7:03 PM
To: Lindakury@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: mebmeb001@xxxxxxxxx

The letter below is from the wife of Saxon's partner.  The standard policy of
the Gwent County Police Department is to put down dogs who have come to the end
of their service.

Please email the Gwent Police Dept. directly.
policeauthority@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     &
Sign the petition.
http://www.petitiononline.com/k9saxon/

Saxon, a healthy 5 year old German Shepherd police dog whose only crime is
coming to the end of his service, is going to be put down unless we can stop
them.  I hope you will read his story and act right away.

  Thank you so much, Melanie

A PLEA TO EVERYONE
PLEASE HELP US SAVE THE LIFE
OF A FAITHFUL AND LOYAL POLICE DOG

My Husband is a serving police dog handler and home office police dog
instructor with Gwent police and for the past 4 years has had the honour and
privilege of handling the most wonderful police dog. Saxon who is a 5-year-old
German Shepherd has been an extremely loyal and faithful servant of the police
force and has been responsible for detecting many criminals.

Saxon has been my husband's partner, sole mate trusted friend and loyal
companion during his service and on many occasions my husband has been alone in
very dangerous situations with only himself and Saxon to arrest serious and
sometimes violent criminals.

Both my husband and Saxon have been commended for their team efforts they even
had a personal letter from the chief constable on one occasion. My husband's
stories to me are endless and amazing and I feel safe in the
knowledge that Saxon has and will put his own life in front of my husbands to
protect and look after him.

When off duty Saxon lives at home and is looked after by the whole family, my
daughter takes him for walks and always plays with him. Saxon lives both in his
kennel and inside our home where his favourite place is on the sofa next to my
husband, sometimes I just don't get a look in they are like a married couple.

For the past 3 months Saxon has been housed at the police kennels at Glascoed
where he has been looked after by the police dog handlers whilst my husband has
been away.

A few weeks ago my husband was informed that Saxon was not to be re licensed as
police dog and senior officers were to make a decision as to his future.

This was happening at the same time as another police dog Kye, and we suspected
that they were to put both Saxon and Kye down at the end of their service. My
husband stated his case and made representations on Saxons behalf offering him
a retirement home with us as his family for the rest of his life.

We were as a family more than happy for this to happen, Saxon is not a danger,
as anyone who knows him or has looked after him will testify. We were and are
prepared to sign any agreement as to liability issues with regards to him.

Today my husband was informed that Saxon is to be destroyed and the reason
given as being 'the responsible thing to do'

My husband is distraught and extremely upset this dog has meant so much to him
over the years however as a serving officer cannot do anything about it due to
the restrictions imposed on him by the service!
SAXON has no voice, BUT MY FAMILY AND I DO

Therefore I want to make an appeal for Saxons life and I feel that the general
public should be made aware of the facts, please help us to SAVE OUR SAXON.

The police use Usk veterinary surgery at Usk for all the veterinary care for
police dogs, surely they cannot nor any other veterinary surgery be asked to
put down a perfectly healthy, fit and loyal dog just because it has come to the
end of his service?

The Police management will argue that he is a dangerous dog, well that's just
nonsense, just ask all the handlers and kennel staff who look after him, all
the officers who know and respect him, ask them who is the best Police dog in
Gwent? And guess who they will say.

I feel that the police management are treating this living animal with no
regard whatsoever, like a disposable tool, he has had his use and now its time
to get rid of him. Is this the thanks that they give to a loyal and faithful
servant?
Will they do the same to other dogs in the future? How can anyone now donate
dogs to the Police Service knowing that they will be destroyed at the end of
their service.

The truth about Gwent Police dog section must be heard. Ask the Police how many
other dogs they have had killed. The police have members of the public assigned
to monitor the health safety and welfare of Police dogs, well where are they in
this case and what are they doing, are they just puppets on the police's
strings?

Yes Saxon is the property of Gwent Police service that are answerable to the
general public and police by consent.

Saxon belongs to the people of Gwent who he has protected whilst we all sleep
at night, who has caught criminals breaking into our homes, who has with my
husband caught numerous car thieves who has faced armed and violent
criminals alone, who has found missing children cleaning their faces, who has
represented Gwent Police at Regional Police Dog Trials, who has taken part in
open day events, the list goes on and on...SO MUCH FOR A DANGEROUS DOG.

Saxons days are numbered he due to be put to sleep we need your help now,
please help to save this wonderful dog.