[ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: Jean Cyhanick ... Tuesday cold reality

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'showgsd L list'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:05:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: On Behalf Of Walt Hutchens
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:35 AM
Subject: Jean Cyhanick ... Tuesday cold reality

One of our major pledges vanished yesterday (lost to a family emergency)
leaving us about $3000 short of where we thought we were. Nobody close to
the case can make that up: Jean's situation is grim --she stopped being able
to sell puppies the day she was indicted -- and
the rest of us have commitments for every nickle. So instead of needing
'just' another $15,000, we have to get $18,000 or so.

Furthermore, after noon yesterday the pledges dropped off fast: There hasn't
been one for several hours.

Consider the situation: No attorney that I know of will take a substantial
case without knowing where the money's coming from and when. Yeah, you MIGHT
get a payment plan after a lump sum up front if you have a steady job and
good credit history but can 300 donors with great intentions make that
claim? WE need to make payment up front.

So what happens if we start dumping actual payments into an account at the
attorney's office and we get to (say) $23,000 and stall? What then? I'll
leave the details to your imagination but they are NOT pretty. The bottom
line is I'm not at all sure we could score the result as doing anyone a
favor, least of all Jean.

WE NEED TO GET THOSE PLEDGES IN. Or if we actually can't do this, we need to
say "We can't do this," and shut the whole works down.

After talking with the attorney and studying things some more, I'm more
convinced than ever that this is a winnable case.  I know we CAN raise the
money.  But times are tough: If we don't have pledges how do we know that we
WILL do so?

We don't.

Back to the drawing board. Please, everyone, if you HAVEN'T pledged yet, do
so by sending me (waltah @ earthlink.net) an email with the amount and
preferably a few words about why this matters to you.
PLEASE GET 'PLEDGE' AND 'JEAN CYHANICK' IN THE SUBJECT LINE.

Breeders, I've seen only a few 'price of one puppy' pledges.

If you HAVE pledged, then see if you can get a friend to match your money.
Two friends? More? Go ahead -- get greedy, for Jean and for all the rest of
us who keep pets!

AND please -- everyone -- find more places to pass the hat.  Give them
the link:

http://got50.blogspot.com

and ask them to read the account of the trial in the second post there.
Then have them read the first post -- my initial appeal for help.

DO YOU KNOW AN ORGANIZATION THAT MIGHT HELP?  What about your kennel club?

I'm not going to put a deadline on this: We should have the actual money in
before Christmas but I'm not willing to start until we have essentially the
whole amount pledged. This takes as long as it takes,unless or until the
game gets called on us.

Thanks, folks. I think we CAN raise this money; we just have to actually DO
it.

Walt Hutchens
Timbreblue Whippets

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
My Blog
Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away
from themselves.  ~Author Unknown