[ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: Drug Alert - Comfortis

  • From: "Chris S. Kimerer" <tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:32:48 -0700 (PDT)

Below is a post from a Boxer person that gave permission to crosspost her
story.  Please read.

Chris S. (Jolley)  Kimerer
www.tanbarkgsd.com

AOE Sel.Ex.Ch.Carousel Farms Samantha, PT, TC OFA H/E
Ch. CaralonQED JD Drew Bleibtreu OFA H/E
Ch. Cresthers Blast V Kenlyn OFA

Permission to cross post.

I hope this will keep someone from loosing their love of their life!!! I lost
Mia (Treceder's I've Got It All) On July the 11, 2009 3:30 Am from using
Comfortis.This is the first and LAST time I will ever use it. For those of you
that don't know what Comfortis is use for it is to kill fleas and it is a
chewable tablet. I gave it to all my boxers and my 2 bull terries. I gave it to
them on a Thursday night with their meal. Darby started throwing up a couple
hours later and then again Friday morning. Mia started throwing up Friday
morning. Mia threw up 2 times and it was coming out like water out of a fire
hose.. What we did not know at the time was that she had thrown up so hard she
tore her stomach loose. Some time during Friday night and Saturday morning her
stomach twisted. We rushed her to the EMS vet it's just 3 miles down the road
from us but we where to late. I also have 2 more boxer puppies that have had
upset stomach from Comfortis and I'm just
 now getting them back to eating again.. I Have talk to a Vet at Lilly who
makes this drug and yes they do know it makes some dogs very sick and have had
some twisted stomachs from other breeds. But I was told that what few problems
where reported was in expectable guide lines!!! 4 boxers out of 6 at my house
where made sick and 1 died from it I don't call that expectable... ..... Lilly
has even call my Vet to see how healthy my dogs where... Mia was 8 1/2 years
old and health as a horse never miss a meal and if you did not eat it she would
gladly help you finish it. She went every where with me. I bottle fed her she
was my baby and the love of my life.

Pride