[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FW: AKC and Petland (more info now)

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:12:36 -0400

One word of caution...it takes an awful lot to stick to one's
principles.  AKC most definitely does not approve of people who don't
"go with the flow" and do all that is suggested.  We who are on the
"&*#@" list know not only who the others are, but how we, ourselves, got
there...speaking out against things like this
is one way to attract the attention of the AKC...and while there will be
those who admire you for having principles and sticking to them, there
will be more who castigate you for it.  I guess it all comes down to
whether you can face yourself in the mirror in the morning.  It's
certainly a lot easier to accept AKC's words and not think for
oneself...you can always avoid that mirror.
   Now forgive me, but I have to run out to pick up the new bumper sticker:
    "Buy from a Breeder! (Or your local Petland store)"

    Seriously, there is another side to the story here...Petland has
always sold purebred puppies from AKC registered litters--provided by
Hunte Corp and other HVBs, and even from some private breeders...of
course, the stores also sell designer dogs and just plain mutts.   This
little effort will just bring a few more bucks (not many)  into AKC's
coffers...Petland will make a few bucks, too...as the sales personnel
show the buyers how they can register their new puppy on line, right
there in the store, for a little bitty fee!
      It isn't that that's so offensive, actually.  What's offensive is
that AKC seems to have abandoned it's own mission statement--that of
protecting and advancing the purebred dog.  How can you advance the
species by aligning yourself with a pet shop chain?  The perks cited by
AKC include the 60-day insurance for your new pet, a booklet from the
AKC on  who knows what, and a free veterinarian visit.  What, private
breeders don't provide the equivalent of these little perks?   Guess not.
    If AKC is so close to destitute that this is the only thing they can
think of up there to make money, I could give them a few ideas, and I
will, in my next column...but among these, I'd start with getting rid of
the New York offices (why did they keep them, anyway, when operations
were moved to North Carolina?), reducing salaries and retirement
benefits (the way every other business in the world would do), and
reducing the number of shows (thereby reducing the show recording costs
they claim are so high)...the Field Rep and Show Superintendents already
send everything to the AKC by computer, right from the show site...if
the computer
program hasn't reduced recording costs, then what the hell has it done?
Made people LOOK good because they're toting laptops?
Peggy