[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FOX news story

  • From: "MARGERY GOLANT" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <larsenc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'GSD show list'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:58:31 -0500

Listers,

Pat had a great suggestion !  Here are some folks who "get it", and
perhaps if they see how much support there is for their position, they
will do more.  I just spent a couple of hours composing a private letter
to them, and would urge you to do the same.  If you go to:

http://fox40.trb.com/about/site/feedback/ktxl-cordova_form,0,7139204.htm
lstory?coll=ktxl-feedback-1

you can send email to Donna Cordova, who was the news anchor who did the
story  PLEASE DO !  And, if there are other stations around the country
who have also taken similar positions, please post them here, with
contact details, so we can all communicate with all of them.  The Rufus
win is a huge opportunity to start getting some momentum going - but
timing is everything !!  Please, do it NOW !!

I am including my letter below, but PLEASE do not copy it - it will have
little or no impact if they get the same letter from lots of people.
Please spend the time to do your own..

Thanks !!!

Margy Golant

PRIVATE EMAIL - NOT FOR PUBLICATION

Thank you very much for making the point regarding Rufus, the
Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show Winner, and how this lovely dog
would be illegal in many localities, potentially including Los Angeles,
due to breed bans.  You have touched on an extremely serious problem: a
terribly cruel and unfair problem which is spreading through various
cities and states around the United States (and Canada).  This
legislation is supported in most cases by well-meaning people who don't
realize the terrible unfairness and harm that results from these laws,
but the actual sponsors are extremist groups dedicated to the
elimination of the keeping of domestic animals.

The result is cruel, unfair and unreasonable.  People are forced to give
up their beloved pets, dogs are seized and KILLED, exterminated solely
because of their breed, or even because they RESEMBLE a banned breed !
Sadly, this has actually happened, is actually happening, all over
America !  A recent example is Denver, CO, where hundreds of dogs have
been seized and killed, due solely to their breed !

Generalizations because of an animal's breed are just as unfair as
generalizations because of a person's race, or gender, or religion.  The
result, quite literally, is genocide!

Instead of legislating against entire breeds of animals, legislation
should be directed against the "bad actors" human or canine, who create
or perpetuate problems, not the innocent animals.

Sadly, there are groups who, under the guise of "animal rights", are the
sponsors and architects of this sort of unfair thinking.  In truth,
these groups are dedicated to restricting and limiting our rights to
keep dogs, even when done in the most loving, caring and responsible
way.  Many of them have stated that their goal is the elimination of the
keeping of domestic animals !  Often times, the result of these breed
bans is, quite literally, the seizing and killing of privately-kept
pets, from good and caring homes, merely because they are (or look like)
banned breeds.  It is totally fallacious to conclude that any breed of
dogs is "bad", merely because.  Virtually any dog can be trained to be a
"bad actor", just as any child can be raised to be, or be allowed to
become, a criminal.  Dog breeding programs can be focused on producing
animals that are most aggressive, most tenacious, hardest-biting,
worst-tempered.  These are dog-fighting breeders, and the next
troublesome sorts of breeders are "puppy mills" and "backyard breeders",
either avaricious or inhumane 'entrepreneurs', or uninformed novices who
don't have the first clue how to breed properly.  Poorly-bred dogs may
still turn out to be good pets, but it is a matter of luck when they do,
not of informed people making intelligent choices to produce quality
dogs.  Dog fighting is illegal, and efforts should be focused on
exterminating it and prosecuting its enablers, not on the poor dogs who
are its victims.

Although I am speaking for myself only, I am the Recording Secretary of
the German Shepherd Dog Club of America, Inc. the national "parent club"
of the German Shepherd Dog in the United States.  We, and other breed
"parent clubs" have become increasingly appalled at this spreading
restriction on the rights of Americans to their dogs and other animals.
No one can seriously deny the contributions made by German Shepherd Dogs
to Search and Rescue, leading the blind and assisting in service to the
handicapped, working in military and police K-9 activities, and many,
many other kinds of tasks geared to be of assistance to mankind.  In
addition, these wonderful dogs are a joy to live with and to be around.
Yet, even they are targeted in some localities by breed-specific
legislation !  In truth, no breed of dogs is safe from this spreading
evil, since the real goal of those behind these laws is the elimination
of domestic animals of ALL breeds.  They are very well-funded, and very
clever.  They hide behind names including positive-sounding words like
"humane" and "ethical".  The highest level of management of these groups
freely admits that ".The bottom line is that people don't have the right
to breed dogs or cats. If people want toys, they should buy inanimate
objects. If they need companionship they should seek it with their own
kind. One day we will put an end to the breeding of dogs and cats." .and
"We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are
creations of human selective breeding."

This issue is VERY serious, and has manipulatively been slipped into
mainstream America via photos of adorable puppies and kittens behind
barbed wire, and photos of victims of animal attacks.

The members and management of the German Shepherd Dog Club of America,
Inc. (www.gsdca.org)  are lovers, proponents and supporters of dogs, and
many of our members are also fanciers of cats, horses, birds, and other
domestic animals.  We do not in any manner sanction or condone cruelty,
neglect, abuse, inhumane treatment, poor temperament or unsound animals,
neither do the many other breed clubs (there are many hundreds of them),
nor do the thousands of responsible breeders, admirers and fanciers of
pure-bred dogs.  We are horrified at the agendas of the groups behind
breed-specific and other anti-animal legislation, and greatly appreciate
the efforts of your station to "get the word out" that this movement is
not what it appears to be, and that the effects of its efforts are to
infringe on the rights of dog-owners and dog fanciers.

We applaud the efforts of your station to unveil this terrible
situation, and would be very happy to assist you in any possible manner
you would find useful.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if I, or
the German Shepherd Dog Club of America, Inc., can be of help in this
regard.

Margery E. Golant

mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx