[ SHOWGSD-L ] FL bill 470, I saw it coming

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 16:07:33 -0800 (PST)

As I referenced in my letter to the senator, there was a big article on local
news that made the national news about a pet store called "Wizard of Claws".
The guy who owns it buys from the bigger mills in the mid west.  The same one,
among others that the HBO special was about.

  When this came out I knew there was a reason.  Usually these things are small
articles that are used as filler for the news.  But this time they made a big
deal over it.  Well sure enough it was the beginning of the usual press and
government conspiracy to exploint one incident to change the way we live.

  I wanted to say something here, on the list before now, but I was caught up
with getting Liddy educated in motherhood.  And she did need me a lot until
today.  She is finally getting good at this.

  So, anyway, I saw this coming, I am not surprised.  I am not disappointed
either.  It is the sort of thing I have come to expect from governments.
RALEEF has been formed because of the direction dog laws are taking.

  I have indicated that this senator is over the top.  I can only hope she
actually reads what I wrote.  I can only hope that she will contact the vet
school at Univ of Florida, one of the best in the country, before moving
forward with this.

  I can assure the entire list that I will NEVER breed more than one or two
litters a year, if for no other reason than to stay under the radar of any such
legislation.

  Miami-Dade county has more restrictive laws than at the state level.  I do my
best to adhere to them.  But I am not interested in selling dogs that I could
end up buying back for more than I sold them for, nor will I allow only any one
vet to tell me my dog is unhealthy or with congenital defect.

  Even if it is not worth the paper it is written on, I will have in my
contract that if a puppy is found to be infirm for any reason by the buyer's
vet, if my own vet, I will insist that the vet of my choice be allowed to give
a second opinion.  I can think of several vets that I do not use that I would
go to for a second opinion.

  At this point, I am glad that I have only 3 puppies.  I am even more glad
that at this time I cannot consider any of them as pets.  I may or may not keep
the male, but the girls are leaving.  One is promised already, thankfully, so I
only have one to worry about.  And I am hoping for a show home for her within
my region so I can keep an eye on her.  If I find the perfect home for the male
and he would be shown, if he is worth it, I will let him go too.  But the next
litter may never happen if before I breed again laws are enacted that jepordize
the rest of my life by breeding and showing as a hobby.
  Sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training