[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FL... Bill seeks to remove ban on BSL laws!

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, gsd List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:55:09 -0800 (PST)

With regard to the resuming of BSL, let me be clear about what is at stake here.
First, the BSL does not work in Miami Dade.  I am a dog trainer and I
can tell you I meet a dog a week that could be called within the
guidelines of the breed ban here, and I also find that the dogs are not
just ok, they tend to be outstanding dogs, well worth knowing.
My letter to my state senator in Florida.

sheila

BSL is really just BS.  It is not enforceable, it is not fair, it in no
way makes dog owners more responsible, and most of the dogs that are
killed for what they look like are in no way a threat to anyone.

What does work is to enforce leash laws as they exist, to enforce owner
liability for dog damages.  It is better to expect the people to
control the dog than for the dog to be of a specific look.  In my work
I have been bitten many time, that's what I get for challenging a dog
in it's own home. But that is what I do.  The dogs most likely to bite
are the ones least expected to do so.

This is not a dog problem, it is a human problem.  There are many
people who are very responsible dog owners, regardless of what their
dogs look like.  And there are people who will obey no laws at all,
unless it suites their immediate needs.  Law breakers are law
breakers.  Good citizens are always doing their best to be just that,
good.

Please do not allow more BSL to engulf the state.  The dog show
industry is watching, pet owners are watching, and dog trainers and
vets too.  We know it is not the dog, it is the owner who is most
likely at fault.  We know we live in the USA where there is a certain
amount of choice in how one behaves.  BSL fails to address any of what
is really wrong with dog owners today.  Trainers can only teach.