[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: EyePartner- live HD streaming solutions

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wynsum@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:09:46 -0700

Hi Zoe:

When I was on the Board I was looking into web-meeting solutions.  There are
several that would work and are very reasonable.

Laptop or PC, WebCamera, Connection to internet and possibly a phone line --
The whole meeting could be run from home and I bet for the whole year, the
cost for the service would be less than the airfare of all the Board Members
and additional non-Board members who attend expenses paid, for one meeting,
probably less.  Additionally, they could provide members the opportunity to
sit in on the meeting as well -- not too much extra if I remember correctly.

2 Issues I thought would be a problem:  Trying to convince people that this
method of meeting would cover all the bases necessary for a successful
meeting and AKC's stance on electronic meetings (not entirely clear on this
point).

Additionally, I thought this might be an option that could be utilized by
Board members to have meetings outside of the regular quarterly face-to-face
meetings.  It was extremely frustrating to only have email contact amongst
the group and singular telephone calls in-between board meetings.  I also
found it very wearisome that the Executive Committee would not meet unless
"extremely necessary" to complete club business that came up -- case in
point, trying to get the budget approved for the IS after the April Board
meeting -- it was pushed off 3 months til the next full Board meeting,
thereby hamstringing the committee.

I don't know many organizations which complete business with one meeting
every quarter, but the GSDCA does.  Perhaps it is because there are a couple
of Board members who do not like having to Ratify business completed by the
Executive Committee because they didn't have input on the topic (that was
one complaint I heard during my time).  It's as if this committee is not a
truly functioning part of the organization.  At least that was my impression
and experience during 2008.  I realize we have had problems with past Exec.
Committees not functioning properly (ie business completed/decisions made
without the Exec Committee members meeting to discuss it), but a properly
functioning Exec. Committee should be operating monthly.

Anyway, good luck on the Board.  Maybe your IT experience can assist the
GSDCA in moving further into this century.

Kathaleen