[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Excuse me/temperament

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 09:15:05 -0400 (EDT)

No, nothing was "dumbed down", it evolved. You have to look back at how the
 titles evolved and a little history.

Sel. is a "cream of the crop" CH, an extraordinary example of the breed,
(one man or woman's opinion on the day, but hey, you pick your judges,
right?).

Sel. EX is/was for the addition of hip & elbow certification.   When that
first started there was a ground swell for making OFA mandatory  for Selects
and instead it was recognized w/ another title.  (Good idea, I  don't like
mandates). I don't remember how many years ago but Fred L. and I  got into it
over the period of about a year or so in the Quarterly's letter to  the
editor section.  He is/was in the "American show lines are crippled"  camp,
until I went back on the OFA'd data base and demonstrated most of our Sel.
dogs already were OFA'd.   (Obviously that was before the Sel. Ex  title.)

Then you have the "pretty dogs are dumb dogs" crowd that don't think a dog
should even be a CH without a working title (trust me, I've met them and
I'm all  for getting out there and working dogs but this crew doesn't "get"
the AKC  defines the criteria for their CH title).  Did I mention I don't like
 mandates?

AOE is for the addition of a title at the end of their name PLUS a  TC.  It
goes before the Sel. Ex title because it is (supposed to be) a  bigger
accomplishment.

Did some of the Sel.s act a fool? I didn't watch the streaming video.

I 'dunno...I would think by the time they finished and were campaigned  a
bit they'd learn stand/stay under any circumstance and Ed is pretty easy for
a  dog to take:)

I go back and forth on the TC.  I've helped at tests where, done  properly,
it means something but yes, most of us agree you can train a dog to  the
test.

We don't have nearly enough evaluators/tests. Our club does one every other
 year.  I support it.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 10/5/2011 4:09:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

That was  my original point.Maybe it is not a requirement for the same
reason that the  OFA CHIC was "dumbed down?"  So that more GSD's can "earn" the

title.