[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Exceed dog food

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:38:57 -0400

"Sandy Staack" <s_dstaack@xxxxxxxxx> writes:  "I ran across a dog food made by
Nutrena named Loyall The maintainence is only 21% Protein I believe and they
also have other foods with higher percentanges the active formula runs $30.00
It is sold at farm stores like Bomgards .A friend uss it and really likes it.
Has any one ever heard of it or used it?  She says it puts weight on skinny
dogs"

I checked out Loyall and found the ingredients to be somewhat low grade.  The
first listed ingredient is "poultry byproduct meal."  This is a low form of
animal protein.  Here's what the Association of American Feed Control
Officials(AAFCO)  has to say about poultry byproduct meal:

" Poultry Byproduct Meal AAFCO: Consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts
of the carcasses of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs,
and intestines, exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur
unavoidably in good processing practices."

This means the poultry byproduct meal contains *no* muscle meat.  Muscle meat
is a higher quality and far easier to digest protein source than that found in
poultry byproducts.

In the Loyall "Active Adult" formula, the next two ingredients are grain
products (wheat).  The 4th ingredient is poultry fat.  (Fat is 5th in the
"Maintenance" formula.)  Kibble with fat listed as one of the first four
ingredients has been found to be associated with a higher risk of bloat. The
next two ingredients are grain.  Then comes a filler (beet pulp).

Loyall kibble also contains Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (synthetic
vitamin K).  Menadione has been linked to liver toxicity and other problems.
The FDA has banned synthetic vitamin K from OTC human supplements.  Many higher
quality dog food manufacturers are also eliminating menadione from their
products.

All and all, Loyall appears to be a rather mediocre kibble consisting mostly of
grain with a lower grade animal protein source.  If I were to feed my dogs a
kibble such as Loyall, I would supplement with hamburger, chicken, or another
high quality protein source.

BTW, a dog without *existing* kidney disease should be able to handle a kibble
high in an easily digestible protein source.  There is *no* scientific evidence
supporting the common belief that high protein dog food causes kidney damage.
A raw diet is very high in protein, yet most dogs thrive on raw.  (No, I do not
feed raw.)

In these tough economic times, I would feed the best I could afford and/or
whatever works...

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam

I ran across a dog food made by Nutrena named Loyall The maintainence is only
21% Protein
I believe and they also have other foods with higher percentanges the active
formula runs $30.00 It is sold at farm stores like Bomgards .A friend uss it
and really likes it.
Has any one ever heard of it or used it?She says it puts weight on skinny dogs
http://www.loyallpetfood.com/

Donsta Shepherds
2006,SW,BOM,CH.Ponca Hill's WOW of Ritarra OFA Good
CH.Ritarra's Lasting Impression OFA Good
Donsta's Twice As Nice Ritarra OFA Good(ch.pts)
Donsta's DoubleTake Ritarra OFA Excellent(ch.pts)
Donsta's Peachy Keen(ch.pts)
09BIAF,Donsta's You Had Me At WOW http://geocities.com/donsta_kennel/