[ SHOWGSD-L ] Everyone sees it differently

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:53:39 EST

In a message dated 1/1/2005 4:56:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
But in  defense of the judge, we judge what we see that day in that ring at
the  time we are observing the dog.   DD..----- Original Message -----
From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@netzero

I guess I see it differently. I judge the animal against the  standard, not
so much on performance. At least I like to think that is what I am  doing.  I
have seen DD judge and it seems he does it the same  way.

I remember one show where I saw a young bitch that I knew would be hard  to
beat. What I had seen in her structure and temperament were with me  throughout
the rest of the show. When I was doing the Winner's class I never  spent much
time looking at her, I knew she was close to the standard, and I  looked at
the rest to see how close they came.

Then I gave the points to the young bitch.

I am trying to see who comes closest to the standard, and it doesn't take  me
all that long to see what I want to see. If the handler is not showing how I
want, on a loose lead and slow, at least one time, then I am not going to
consider that entry.  However, when I have seen the structure, I don't have  to
see it over and over to decide.

That is just how I have decided to judge.  It is not always how they  perform
time and time again, and I seldom see an animal different on that day.  When
I have decided on the structure and temperament, the subsequent performance
isn't going to do much for me one way or the other.

I remember one judge I have often shown under, and emulated, a member of
this List telling me, he decided what animal he liked, how that one looked
best,
and then made the rest of them move that way. I think he was joking, but it
is a  close call.

I want my winners to look good, but it is up to the dog and handler to do
it, and seldom will the performance change what I see.

Evan
_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/