[ SHOWGSD-L ] Everyone Needs A Laugh - sort of long

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:32:52 -0500

Hi Everyone -

With all the seriousness going on here, I thought everyone would enjoy this.

My mom and a friend of ours bought a bitch and are co-breeding a litter to
mom's young stud-dog.. Tom wanted to breed his own showdog and this perfect
opportunity came up..

Anyhoo, this is Tom's first litter and I thought you guys might get a giggle
out of what they went through...

Sorry it's dalmatians, but I think it applies to everyone!!! Anyone who thinks
breeding is fun and games needs to read this... We have a blog going on the
website too so you can stay tuned it (this is the first installment)

BTW: Mom and babes are doing great!

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& the Shepherd Girls************************
From: Tom Demma
To: Sue MacMillan

Puppy time!  At or around 10:00pm Tuesday, Boji decided that Dawn and I had
enough sleep for rest of the week.  Who says dogs are not considerate?  The
constant whining, panting, and shreding of newspapers, ( I will give her her
due here.  NOBODY reads the National Enquirer anymore.  I would shred that rag
too.)Told us she was right;  "You two are indeed FINISHED sleeping, and if your
not careful, I might keep you two home from work for a week too" .

After six HOURS of this behavior, (Truth be told, after six hours of this
behavior, I was starting to wonder of Boji was getting paid by the hour.
"Amalgamated Sleep Deprivation Local 10"  The trumpets sounded, the band
played, and WE WERE PARENTS!!!  I will spare you all the gory details, other
then to say, the event looks like a scene from some horror movie.  Lots of
"Goop."  Enough said.

After the delivery of the first puppy,  (OK.  Whelp)  Dawn gently reached over
and closed my mouth.  "What, are you catching fly's?"  It really WAS pretty
awesome, delivering YOUR first puppy.  I have assisted before, but when its
yours, in your house,  the entire event takes on a new light.  The "R" word
kept rattling around in my brain . Responsible.  After all.  I have spent most
of my adult life DODGING responsibility.    Nobody was gonna bail my rear out
at 4:30 in the am.  Being a grown up stinks :-)

30 minutes later, I got a chance to it again.  "Lather rinse repeat"  This
entire process is NOT something a 45 years old man should undertake.  What hair
hasnt fallen out, is being pulled out.  Nerve-wracking accurately describes the
whelping process.  Nerve-wracking also describes driving around with a
twenty-something Vikings cheerleader, but thats another topic.

For every up, there is a down.  The yin and the yang so to speak.  One of the
pups was stillborn on arrival.  Sad.  However, out of this sad event, came the
realization, our bitch was not having strong enough contractions to pass the
remaining pups.  With the advice of Sue, who has been mentoring me from the day
I decided I would like to do this, we took her the vet.  Actually, Dawn and Sue
took her to the vet.  I sat home and blubbered over the loss of the stillborn,
and kept a close eye, and I mean CLOSE  eye on the pups she had whelped
earlier.  None of THIS was on the agenda, what the hell?!!

About an hour after they took off for the vet, (Knowing the way Dawn drives,
they broke a half dozen traffic laws enroute.  I pity the fool that gets
between Dawn and her dogs)  The phone rings.  Like the saying goes;  Hope for
the best, expect the worst.  I should also mention, during the hour they were
gone, I paced so hard I wore a groove in the carpeting, and pulled the
remaining hair from my head.    (Can anyone borrow me a ballcap by the way?)
Well, I must have done SOMETHING right in my life to deserve this, (For the
life of me I cant remember what it was) because they were able to save the
three remaining pups!!  All girls too!!  The c-section was a success!!  Talk
about an emotional rollercoaster ride.  Someone should have given out cotton
candy and corndogs at this whelping.  This was a rollercoaster ride that would
rival the state fair.  (Better parking here too)

A  couple hours later, the girls, and I mean that literally, returned.  Pups
and an exhausted Boji in tow.  What an ordeal.  The three new pups were
introduced to mom after Dawn and I put our scent on them, and we rubbed them in
what can only be described as "Goop"  from the whelping box.  We will be living
on a diet of ramen noodles for the next six month to pay for all of this, but
thank goodness, I LOVE ramen noodles.

And while I am on the subject of the "Whelping box" let me clear something up.
The box isnt a box at all.  Its a kiddie pool.  You know, the kind you used to
hold your little sisters head underwater when you were kids?  THAT kind of
kiddie pool.

So, mom and pups seem to be doing ok.  Boji bounds in and out of her box and
flops down like a sack of concrete.  It's a constant vigil to make sure she
doesnt flatten one of her kids.

The resident Dal's  have figure out what is going on in the house.    Eight new
dogs in the house ?  Lets see.  Thats 12 dogs; and the two of you.  They are
already calling contractors, looking for a few more doggie doors, and heated
dog houses with cable so they can growl at Ceaser Milan.  The Mini-Dachshund
Gomez, he wants to watch dog shows.  Win one specialty, and there is no living
with this one..

And that brings me to the last subject of my experience.  Dawn and Sue.  There
is absolutely no possible way any of this would have been possible without Dawn
West.  None.  Nada.  The amount of work involved in this is staggering by ANY
measure.  Thanks babe.  And yes I know where the jewelery store is located.
Nothing short of a lavish gift will do I am sure.

And this brings me to Sue MacMillan.  11 years ago, I attended a local dog show
looking to talk to  a Dal breeder.  I wanted a Dal.    Someone pointed me in
the direction of Sue, and here I am.  So for all the dumb questions, the late
night calls,  for taking time out at DCA two years in a row to explain whats
what, THANK YOU.  A person hears the term "Mentoring" tossed around a lot in
the dog world.  Clearly, Sue understands what it means.  (And no, I wont walk
your dogs.  I have 12 of my own to deal with :-))