[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Eukanuba Agility trial

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 23:49:07 -0500

from another list:

It is very nice to know that the AKC leadership sent letters of apology to
the participants at the Agility Invitational. I have been given permission
to cross-post this letter from Michael Canalizo:

To all the 2009 AKC Agility Invitational exhibitors:

I am Michael Canalizo the Director of AKC Event Management. I am
the person responsible for the venue provided for your event.

As competitors having achieved a position as one of the top Agility
dogs for the year, I'm sure you were looking forward to a seamless
trip and a great venue in which to compete. It certainly was our
intention to provide just that.

You can't imagine my dismay when the conditions that impacted your
event presented themselves. Most understand that rain in southern
California at this time of year is not significant and indeed the
storms that passed through were record events for the area and season.

I think you all realize the herculean effort that was put forth by
Andy, Carrie, Gail, Doug, Barb, Diane, Mark, Rich, Steve, Pam and
Curt to rectify the situation. The safety of you and your dogs was
their primary concern.

I was kept abreast of the conditions and discussion on/if the need to
cancel the event had to be made. I am humbled by your commitment to
the sport, as I know how uncomfortable as it was for all of you. Many
events we compete in can and do encounter challenges which we all
have been forced to endure at one time or another. I'm sorry the 2009
Agility Invitational had to be one of them.

To the many who shared their thoughts, both positive and negative, I
assure you that your comments were appreciated were integral in the
course of action that was taken.

I know the rings were not impacted to the same extent the crating
area was, and that many great runs were made by you and your amazing
dogs. I received many positive comments that the sod was great to run
on. While watching the finals I felt the excitement of the crowd
and the energy was thrilling with each great dog and handler who
entered the course.

While I can not predict what Mother Nature can or will do...I can
assure you that for the next six years the AKC Agility Invitational
Events which has been one of the cornerstones of the trilogy of the
National Championship Events will be an indoor event. Hopefully you
and your dogs will never be placed in another situation which
resulted in great discomfort and unexpected stress.

To all of you please accept my sincere apology for having ultimately
been the responsible party to have placed you in the position that
you experienced.

With immense sincerity,
Michael Canalizo