[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ethics?????..what's that?

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:29:02 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi Ed and All
> What's the old saying you can't legislate morality?  Or ethics , or desire
> to play by the rules.  Recently we have seen very clear examples of how
> fair
> play is violated in this sport.  It was not a surprise, I am sure we can
> all
> tell stories of similar "you scratch my back"  tactics.
> A code of ethics is all fine, but either you have them , or you don't.
> Signing a piece of paper doesn't and will not make it so.
> Kathy>>>>

'Tis the story of the two policemen. The internal one and the external
one. As long as the internal one does not exist, you have to have the
external one. Once the internal one is developed, you don't need the
external one. That is what good parenting is all about - developing
internal character so that the child is able to live without the external
policeman putting them in jail.

Ethics, at its highest level is the development of internal character so
that the law does not touch us. Sadly, the external policeman is always
needed in society because of the flaws in human character. We do need an
ethical code, but it must be an expression of the heart of our purpose and
express what the heart of every member should be. That is an awesome task!
Dave