[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Escape Proof Kennels

  • From: "legatogsd" <legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:51:26 -0500

When I brought home Stormy, our first Malinois, she was 6 mos. old.  I tried
to kennel her, but she escaped and wreaked havoc on my kennel building and
yard. Then she became a house dog.  When I would put her in the yard to
potty (only a few minutes at a time) The neighbor kids would come knocking
on the kitchen door with Stormy in tow.  I checked the bottom of the entire
fence but didn't see a place that was insecure.  It took me a while to catch
her, but I discovered her escape route....she was jumping the 6 foot privacy
fence.  Turns out, she was also jumping the 6 foot kennel walls way back
when.  (She also jumps the 5 foot pasture fence to get to me when I am in
with the horses.)  Then, I started paying attention to the kennel facilities
of people who have working Malinois.  It seems that all kennels are secured
(cannot be scooted, lifted, peeled, etc.) on concrete, and all have a 'lid'.
A gap in fencing is an invitation in the mind of a Malinois.

Crates are little challenge to her either.  She will, first off, avoid a
crate at any cost.  If tricked/forced into one, she will destroy the door,
or whatever is convenient for her.  She once escaped a plastic crate --while
wearing an elizabethan collar.   Furthermore, she despises the restriction
of wearing a collar.  She is so fast and wild that I used to try to keep a
collar on her when travelling so I would have a way to grab her if need be.
She has removed and destroyed more collars than I can count.

It's her world....I'm just living in it.  lol

Linda
Legato German Shepherds
*and the Sch3 IPO3  Mini-Mal Wonder Dog*
http://www.geocities.com/legatogsd