[ SHOWGSD-L ] Entries.. dog shows/horse shows/fish shows

  • From: blackhawkfarms214 <blackhawkfarms214@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l GSDList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:01:25 -0600

As many of you know, I'm very active as a Gaited horse show judge. When I
opened up my Tennessee Walking Horse magaine, the first thing I read was
the Associations Presidents message of "what can we do to increase entries
at Walking horse shows...." (our Big Stakes at the Walking horse
"nationals"  last year only had 3 horses in it.. Last years winner.. a 4yo
and one other Aged horse)

I opened up my Saddlebred magazine to find another article of "how can we
increase entries at the Saddlebred shows. Although the Freedom Hall show
had numbers, other big shows such as Bonnie Blue, Rock Creek, Lexington
Jr.Leagu and American Royals were down significant numbers.

I open the AQHA (Quarter Horse) journal (Landon has a QH mare but i read
the articles) .. the new president again wrote a few months back of a push
to get more people involved and increase entries.

I have a friend in Sacramento who shows those Fighting Fish. (Went to a
fish show with him in 2004 and was very entertained how they "show" fish).
He's no longer showing because (1) flying (shipping) an entry of 6-7 fish
has become so.outageous with airlines its hurting entries (sound familiar?)

After reading the list and reading a powerful statement from the asb forum
it really hit home about a few things: (1) showing animals overall has
declined as there many other kinds of things kids/people can persue... its
liken to the typewriter. A great tool. Some, very few it seems, still use
them but you will have those who will show and those who won't..

In short, dog shows have been around for over a hundred years... they
aren't going anywhere. Sure the players have changed but the games still
the same.

Mike