[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Entries

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scharo777@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:59:01 -0300

Carol
I think your last line said it all " I think it is time for the clubs to
reach out and support each other"
You are right.  I feel that combining Fut regions esp in the Western states
would be disasterous.
Folks have to remember, that it takes people in CA and Tx as long to drive
from one end of their state to the other, as it takes some in East, to drive
through several states.   The futurities are already difficult enough to get
to out here...reduce the number of locations and you will watch entries die
off, altogether.
Speaking only for ourselves and some of our clients that have expressed
same, if you have two or three sites, one close to home and the others
several hours away, people are going to be likely to stay close ,( even if
the judge is only mediocre), unless the Futurity judge and the specialty
judges are standouts for you.
With the cost of gasoline requiring a home loan , traveling a long distance
to what is basically a puppy match makes no sense.  Not anymore.

I have mixed feelings about the combined show weekends.  If the judges don't
"compliment" each other, or if you are seeing the same judges for your
regional shows over, and over, then the entries may not be so great. For
some reason we seem to see a repeat of a few judges out here, time and time
again.  Not sure why, and it isn't a motivator to enter.
The combined weekends are harder on everyone, but I believe this is the wave
of the future. More clubs may have to consolidate weekends with one another,
just to survive.  Personally if I think I can go to one weekend and have
reasonable success with four shows, although exhausting, I would do it
rather than try to travel to two completely seperate show weekends.

Kathy Tank