[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: English Kennel Club GSD standard

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:58:14 -0500

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:23:43 -0500 (EST),
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

>That's interesting.  I learned a long time ago that dogs w/ red (or
>blonde) tipped as opposed to black tipped tails fade.  (Willis).  And  it's
>true..they do.
>
>Take a look at a dog w/ little to no mask...bet they have a light tipped
>tail, and you can put money on the saddle fading.

I've heard that also. Don't kill me (and let's not start a
war about it because I'm probably wrong anyway), but I've
also heard it said that those *really* red dogs like they
seem to like in Germany are actually not so great
pigment-wise. YMMV on that one. I don't know, 'cuz give me
a well tempered and nicely-built DARK GREY sable any day
of the week and I'll have gone to GSD heaven!!  ;0

>>Color (English GSD standard):
>>Light  markings on chest or very pale colour on inside of legs
>>permissible but undesirable, as are whitish nails, red-tipped tails
>>or wishy-washy faded colours defined as lacking in pigmentation.
I don't know much about how they write standards in Great
Britain, but I think a lot of it goes to the *intent* of
the wording found within the standard. There are some
breeds (and/or kennel clubs?) that seem LOATHE to put
actual disqualifications in standards. People whose brains
I've picked about this seem to believe that if you
outright tell people "NO!", it's giving them incentive to
do exactly what you just told them they shouldn't do. It's
just like telling a small child "don't touch that hot
stove" and the next thing you know, the kid is screaming
from touching the stove and burning their hand.

Anyway, in those breeds and/or organizations, you can read
the words "permissible but undesirable" as saying "we
REALLY don't think it's a good idea to be doing that!" and
"highly undesirable" as being "if you DO go ahead and do
that thing, no only will you be sorry, but people in your
breed will go ballistic and point fingers and make the
frowny-face at you at ringside!"

See the difference there?  ;)
--
Karen C.