[ SHOWGSD-L ] Emergency

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dorieray@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:34:38 -0800

He brought the dog in to be put down because it had bite  a 3 year old child
in the face  the child was petting him and he just turned and bit him,He got
the dog from the SPCA and they will not take him back .He also placed an add
in the paper and got no response.

Paul opines...

This is so sad but not the exception. Rarely when people surrender a dog are
they sound, trained, or destined to become great pets for a new owner. This
is the down...no black side of rescue or adoption.

We own a Boarding Kennel and the most temperament problems we have in our
client dogs are from dogs that have been adopted or rescued from an SPCA or
Rescue organization. That is with the excellent screening process most
Rescue's utilize these days, too. The owners try and make excuses but in
reality...they too, don't understand why the dog is a basket case, doesn't
like men, or cannot be groomed.

Most Breed Clubs or Breed Rescues carry "Millions" of dollars of insurance
on their officers and Board members should they be sued.

I am always happy when a rescue or an adoption works out for all. I don't
want to intimate even a bit, that most fail or bad temperamented dogs find
their way into many homes...but alas...some do and it doesn't help our cause
a bit.

Something to think about people on "Da List"...something to think about oh
so very seriously.

Paul