[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Email to the Board

  • From: JIMmez@xxxxxxx
  • To: gmcdannell@xxxxxxxxx, LEWIEB@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:45:18 EST

In a message dated 3/4/2005 11:12:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gmcdannell@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Lew,
I totally agree with you!  The parent club should be more pro-active in the
legislation arena.

Currenly, I am spearheading a movement in New York State to form a federation
of dog clubs, which will include clubs from other registeries, as well as pet
owners. There are 251 AKC accredited clubs in this state, and believe it or
not, we are not united. However, thanks to a group on Long Island, and several
of us in western New York, we were successful in defeating a "dangerous dog
bill" last summer. Nevertheless, if this bill resurfaces now, I would think
that
we would be in trouble too.

I am working with the Legislative Department of the AKC  on the formation of
the federation, and I know that they are really trying to stay on top of all
of the BSL and dangerous dog bills that keep popping up all over the country.
Accordingly, all of the breed parent ogranizations should take a more active
part in addressing and dealing with these bills.

Lastly, I have also been conferring with the ADOA, and they have are very
supportive of our effort. They really do a good job of staying on top of what
is
going on in the legislative world.

Gary McDannell
President
GSDC WNY

LEWIEB@xxxxxxx wrote:
I just sent this email to the GSDCA Board:

Don't you think it is the responsibility of the GSDCA to respond to these AR
sponsored bills no matter what the State of issue? I know I sure do and I
would hope that we as a Board would support a plan of action and maybe we
should
discuss this fully in April.

However, April is too late for the IL Bill #1790 which must be stopped now or
the German Shepherd Dog will be listed as a dangerous Breed, have to wear an
orange tag on its collar and be either spayed or neutered. Doesn't sound like
there will be anymore German Shepherd Dog Clubs nor shows in IL if this bill
passes.

It is time the GSDCA became very active in these matters.

Lew
I notified The Long Island Coalation about this and they will support....

Jim,
Bertalan Shepherds
Long Island, NY