[ SHOWGSD-L ] Elevated Calcium Level

  • From: "ELAINE B" <ejb4933@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 22:01:53 -0700

 I have a 2 year old spayed bitch who suddenly stopped eating last Friday
night.  Saturday she wasn't interested in eating but was starting to drink
volumes of water and, of course, peeing volumes of urine.  I took her temp
and it was 103.4 (she runs normally around 102.5), so I figured the drinking
was just her attempt at self-hydration.  Sunday, she was still not
interestedin eating so I started giving her Ascriptin and the temp came
down.  On Monday, she was still not eating so I took her to the local ER.
The only 'symptom' I had, in addition to the inappetance, was that she
yelpedFriday morning when we played ball.  The vet thought maybe it was pano
(she had never had it as a young puppy, though), so she took xrays of both
legs.  She saw some shadowing in the carpal area of both legs which
suggestedpano and the fever and inappetance seemed to go hand in hand with
that diagnosis, but it didn't explain the water consumption.  Tuesday she
wasstill very lethargic and not eating, so I took her to my regular vet who
ran a blood panel.  The results came back fairly normal except for an
elevated calcium level (13.5).  And then I heard the words I never wanted to
hear.....lymphosarcoma, multiple myeloma although, interestingly, none of
herperipheral lymph nodes were enlarged.  So she referred me to a 24/7
specialty clinic where an EKG was done (normal) and a chest film was taken
showing no lesions.  They kept her overnight, started her on IV fluids and
the next morning did an ultrasound of the abdomen, liver and spleen.  The
ultrasound showed no enlargement of either the liver nor spleen, but massive
lymph nodes in the abdomen (primarily the sublumbar area).  It was beginning
to look like we had a case of lymposarcoma, so they took needle aspirates of
the nodes.  But the cytology results came back the next day showing no sign
of neoplastia/cancerous cells.  Although the dog has never been out of
Southern California, in looking at all possible 'rule outs', the vet wanted
to check for a systemic fungal infection (blastomycosis?), so blood was
drawnand has been sent to the lab to be cultured and will be back, hopfully,
by next Monday/Tuesday.  In the meanwhile, we are at a standstill.  If
anyonehas any information that could help me help the vet come to some
answers, please write me.