[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Elbow Question

  • From: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx
  • To: earsup45@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:44:24 EST

In a message dated 12/28/2007 3:42:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
earsup45@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
A friend  and I were having a discussion about elbows and asked that I put
this question  to "The List"....They wanted to know what peoples experiences
have been with  either DJD (any degree) or UAP in relation to breeding or
showing
dogs  diagnosed by OFA with either (no outward symptoms).Would you show/would
you  breed?Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.          Sue
Lapinski

I have seen both, with UAP you almost always see signs, some limping  even if
it is only after some work.  Most of the time dogs with UAP limp  pretty bad,
but not always and I would NEVER breed a dog with UAP.

With DJD there are several grades, 1, 2 and 3 and I have only seen 1 &  2.
Generally I don't think these dogs ever limp.  I have one hear  pushing 14
still no limping with Grade 2...Yes, I bred her and she produced very  well, 1
pup
in 3 litters with UAP on 1 elbow but everyone else OFA's... Needless  to say,
yes at this point I would breed and show and work a dog with  DJD...  I have
seen too many Xrays that were vertually the same go to OFA  with 1 in 5
seeming to come back with some form of DJD and elbows that look  the same
OFAing
normal.. So unless I see something I don't like in the xray (not  that I am an
expert but have seen many!! ) or with the use of the front, I will  continue to
use those animals providing they have strong enough vertures to do  so.

Debbie