[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: El Paso Times Letters to Editor (Texas)

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:21:50 EST

TX-RPOA E-News
From Responsible Pet Owners Alliance,
the reasonable  voice regarding animal issues in Texas.
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance is an  animal welfare organization,
not "animal rights" and, yes, there is a  difference.
Permission granted to crosspost.

December 21,  2005
Please thank Charlie Edgren for the El Paso Times editorial and cartoon  on
the folly of Title 7's recent passage in El Paso, TX.  Title 7  mandates
litter permits, canvassing private homes for compliance with Title  7, and
mandatory microchips for dogs/cats -- all firsts in Texas.   Opposition to
Title 7 Revisions is being expressed by letters to the editor  (See below.)
El Paso, Texas, is the first nominee for our listing of  "Anti-Pet Texas
Cities."
The Title 7 provisions should be  rescinded.

Letters to the Editor
cedgren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Published  in El Paso Times
El Paso, Texas

First letter:
Council promotes more  privacy loss

Once again City Council did not listen to voters. All of my  pets are either
spayed or neutered, in a fenced yard and provided food and  water. They visit
the veterinarian regularly. They are socialized with  children, other dogs
and old people.

When I have them micro-chipped,  it isn't going to make them better animals,
me a better pet owner, them less  likely to reproduce, happier or healthier.
It will put me in a database with  information for the government to keep yet
another watchful eye on me. It  allows the dogcatcher access to my property.

You stop overpopulation by  neutering and spaying, not microchipping. Poor
people with pets running  loose, ignorant people and irresponsible pet owners
are the problem. They are  not going to participate in this stupid program.

Their pets are going to  be picked up and killed. They are not going to pay
large  fines.

Responsible pet owners are going to drink the Kool Aid, the  program is going
to be implemented, dogs are going to keep reproducing, poor  families are
still going to have litters of puppies and the responsible pet  owners will
pay the price. Nice going (councilman) Beto  (O'Rourke)!

John Billingslea
East El Paso

2nd  Letter:
Microchip law another bad idea

Since the new city ordinance  requiring that pets be microchipped is linked
to rabies vaccinations, did  anyone stop to consider that this requirement
will only serve to keep people  who cannot afford the microchipping from
vaccinating their pets?

Did  our City Council forget that El Paso is a poor city? How will people who
are  poor afford this?

Actually, I would like to know how much this new  ordinance is going to cost
the taxpayers. The rabies tags record who owns an  animal, so why is the
microchip necessary? Why not just require that pets  wear their tags?

If the idea is to reduce the pet population, it will  work. We may not have
as many "lost" animals euthanized, but the number that  will die from rabies,
distemper and parvo will more than make up for  that!

El Paso has become "No-no Land."

The City Council has passed  ordinances for no fires, no watering, no
mulberry trees, no smoking, no  breeding of pets, and on and on, but
apparently, I was out-of-town when the  ordinance for "no brains" on the City
Council was enacted.

Peggy  Kirk
Upper Valley

3rd Letter to Editor:
Bad law

The passing  of the new pet ordinance is only going to affect the pet owners
who do  vaccinate and care for their pets. As everyone knows, it is a law for
pet  owners to have their pets vaccinated, but so few do, and this ordinance
will  only affect those who do, and will decrease the numbers due to the
increase  in cost.

Good job, City Council, you have now created a bigger problem.  You couldn't
control the vaccination problem. Do you think you'll be able to  control the
problem now? It will only double.

As far as microchipping,  which should be up to the owner, this will be
another reason that pets will  not be taken to the vet.

Louis Avalos
East El Paso

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
a rumor flies around the world while the truth is still  putting it's shoes
on..
http://www.rihadin.com