[ SHOWGSD-L ] Educational Brochure on the Standard

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx(List)>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:12:41 -0500

> Subject:  Educational Brochure on the Standard
>

> hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Steve and Christine Grainger
> WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM
>
> Helen, Before I continue, let me say" Thank you" for the clarification
that your brochure is to be used only temporarily until the IS is
completed. Now we would like to catch the membership up to speed on what
the IS committee has been up to the last 3 months!

>  First and foremost,  the IS committee believes in communication to the
membership.  Kathaleen Strong,Chairperson and the rest of the IS committee,
feel strongly that the membership be informed when possible, especially
about a project  as important as  the IS. The IS committee has been working
the last 3 or so months on a prototype for the IS. The committee is
comprised of  notable breeders, judges and exhibitors who bring different
dimensions to this project.The diverseness of our backgrounds is a good
system of "checks and balances" so that none of us can have too much
influence, one way or the other on the project. Basically our goal is to
"breathe  life" into the written standard by the use of illustrations and
to present a prototype of an "ideal" GSD that will have mass appeal. In
other words, a dog that anyone would be proud to have their kennel name on
whether your back ground is exhibiting in the conformation ring, be it
specialty or all-breed, or any of the performance venues! We have chosen
not to use Ms. Shaw's illustrations for a variety of reasons. Instead we
have sought the talents of another gifted artist, who understands the
important difference of being and "illustrator," as opposed to  an artist
who lets their own bias govern their work. Kathaleen has submitted a budget
for the IS. The B&F has approved a portion of the budget and we are now
awaiting approval of the Exec Com. Needless to say we are chomping the bit
to get this project rolling! However, until the budget is approved, by  the
Exec. Com. our hands are tied.

 We feel confident that when the membership sees the result of our work
that it will meet with the majority's approval. We must keep in mind that
for the IS to be completed in a timely manner, we, the GSDCA membership
must put aside our own personal interpretations. This project is NOT about
changing the standard,it is NOT about promoting the commitee members's own
dogs or interpreting the standard our way. The IS is about depicting the
GSD to the written standard as much as humanly possible.We realize that the
membership has been patiently awaiting an IS for the last few years. The IS
commitee asks for your continued patience through the duration of this
project and until its completion.We will be working as hard as possible to
do our part and  bring an IS to the membership in a timely manner.

> Although, the IS commitee was not elected by the membership, we feel
strongly that we are still working as your representation! Therefore,if
you have any questions, please feel free to contact Kathaleen Strong,Chair
of the ISC or others on the  commitee, Lee Brown, Kay Reamensnyder, Vicki
Roye or Christine Grainger. Periodically we will try to let the membership
know the the project is coming along. Thank you for your support.
>                        Sincerely,Christine Grainger, on behalf of the
Illustrated Standard Commitee

> > > Attached is an excellent presentation that can be used at your next
> > > club meetings.  Thanks to Pam Stoesser the technical expert for her
> > > assistance in putting the pamphlet together and to Linda Shaw for her
> > > excellent depiction of the proportions of the German Shepherd Dog as
> > > listed in the Standard.  Linda is an excellent artist and donated her
> > > time and effort for this project.
> > >
> > > As the Education Chairperson for the GSDCA we have only had the 1965
> > > Orie Nordness Illustrated Standard to present when we did the judges
> > > seminars and the educational programs for the clubs.  Although
> > > wonderful 40 years ago, we felt that a more modern depiction of the
> > > German Shepherd would aid us in our presentations.  This is simply a
> > > substitute until the Illustrated Standard Committee for the GSDCA
> > > headed by Kathleen Strong presents the new Illustrated Standard of
> > > the GSD for all to use in their educational activities.
> > >
> > > Permission to cross post to any list is hereby given and please feel
> > > free to duplicate this brochure if you feel it will help you to
> > > educate any new people interested in the Breed.
> > >
> > > Again Thank you to Pam Stoesser and Linda Shaw.
> > >
> > > Helen Gleason, Education Chairperson GSDCA
> > > Please use the url below to view this.
> > >
> > > www.picturethatservices.com/standard

> > POST is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the
> >
> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS