[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Education & Choice

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:31:23 -0800

When people call here looking for a pet and tell me they don't want one of those
"sloping rears"........I tell them not to worry.......those are the show pups
and they can't have
one and the others like they want will go for the pets.    <G>
Then that makes them curious and I can then explain the Breed compared to a
Labrador
or Golden or whatever.... and the differences ....and very often they fall in
love with the show
dogs when they get here.    I explain the reason they move the way they
do.....have the show
dogs gaiting around the yard while talking and they can learn and see they are
not crippled,
but very athletic and agile.......especially when the dogs leap up on our huge
wooden picnic
table so they can visit better and get more pets and attention.   I take the
time to explain that the
longer stride to maintain gaiting and herding all day requires the angles.
People are willing to
learn and accept that once they see it.
I also make the point that GSD's in general are around 40 down on the list of
dogs with the
incidence of Hip Dysplasia compared to those square blocky Breeds that DON'T
SLOPE....
<G>
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com
  ----- Original Message ----- rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:
  She  responded with "oh...Well I would never want any of those CHAMPION dogs,
  no  thank you"     I was stunned.THIS is what we are up against  folks....

  Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
  I know people that refuse to deal with black people too.

  Evan L.  Ginsburg
  Asgard German Shepherds
  http://www.asgardgsd.com/