[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Education

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>, "DaList" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:57:12 -0500

Ruth,

Perhaps you are not aware of all the efforts that goes on to educate judges
in the GSD breed.

Every National (and now also during the winter at the IKC show), there is a
GSDCA/AKC sponsored seminar about the GSD breed.   It is held on Tuesday
before the National and each member is invited to attend in the advance
brochure.  For the past several years, there have been 40 - 80 participants
at these seminars, not all judging applicants - often just people wishing to
improve their knowledge.

In addition, each new judge is given a DVD that the GSDCA Education
committee prepared from the 2006 Judges' Seminar in St. Louis.  The focus of
the DVD is on the breed standard, the loose lead temperament test, and the
importance of working ability in our dogs.  The DVD presenters are Dave
Rinke, Ed Barritt, and Helen Gleason.  Portions of that seminar are also
available on www.gsdca.org for members.

Many members of the GSDCA have also given these DVDs to existing all breed
judges.  Every member of last year's Board was given several copies for
distribution.  Copies of this DVD were sent to every regional club.  This
DVD is available from the GSDCA Office for any regional club  for
educational purposes or for members who wish to improve their knowledge.
This information has been published in several BoardOGrams and in the Review
in the Board Minutes.

A new, interim booklet was prepared for judges attending this seminar,
focusing on the Standard and what the GSDs should look like when they see
them in the ring.  When the new, Illustrated Standard is complete, that
version will be used.

If you have further questions about the efforts of the GSDCA to educate
judges, you might wish to contact Helen Gleason at helengleasonus@xxxxxxxxxx
I'm sure she'd be happy to answer any questions about GSD education for you.

Pam