[ SHOWGSD-L ] Early on Thursday before we leave for the show

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ginialtman@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 06:45:47 EST

The national is so much more than another dog show. There are the back
stories, the friendships renewed, the new alliances made, and dreams dashed.
There
are undercurrents of events, histories fulfilled and new promises to keep
and some to break.

It started on the flight in. I noticed one attendant who did not fit the
mold. He was about 45 with very close cropped white hair. He was buff, and
looked to be about six foot two and maybe 225 pounds. He moved as if he was a
highly trained military man, and served drinks with a smile but didnâ??t seem
into
the job. I did wonder what the real story might be?  I thought, maybe a  pilot
who had a drinking problem but had to serve out a couple more years to get
his pension?  An ex military sargent who wanted to continue to travel but  was
burned out with the government?  Maybe a top executive who decided it  was
time for a life style change, and found a way to build a new identity in the
industry where he had no responsibility and no roots?

I watched him during the flight, and noticed that his hair was in a true
military style, he held himself as if poised for trouble, and always was
watching what was going around him.  He had a feeling of strength about  him,
and
seemed to always notice where we all were. I pointed it out to Tedi,  and she
said, â??air marshalâ??.  Maybe so.

I also just finished the new Lee Child book, and clearly we had Reacher as
our steward on that flight.  I got up at 4:00 a.m. to finish the book so I
could give it to Martha Rinke today, and maybe he was just another employee of
US Air, but wasnâ??t that the name of the military operation that smuggled
drugs
into South America?

We have half an hour to go before we leave for the arena, and I am looking
forward to the Stud Dog parade.  Tammy is going to be here for it, and to  me,
that is what this is all about. Loving the show, our dogs and each  other.  I
am often sappy this early.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together