[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ear hematoma.

  • From: PamJB1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:11:42 EST

Hi,
Has anyone ever had one of these on their dog's ear? My 3 1/2 year old  bitch
was just diagnosed with one. She doesn't have skin, ear, or allergy
problems. In fact the ear looks healthy and fit, except for this. It's on her
right
ear in the upper third and is fairly swollen so that the ear just hangs, a  lot
like a collie. I've never had one on any of my dogs before, and am wondering
what the outcome was with it. Surgery has to be done to drain it, but I'm
wondering about reoccurrence, healing, and even if the ear will still stay up.
Also, what did you use to restrain the dog from scratching, rubbing, or
pawing at the ear? Unfortunately, I'm very aware of the infamous elizabethan
collar, but was wondering if you had other ways of handling this? She will be
watched closely, and thankfully, these guys are pretty good about listening.
Also, have many experienced a dog throwing blood clots afterwards?
The thought is she banged it somehow.
Any insight or advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Pam and the Pack

UKC.,ACHX, UD, UWP, CH 'Future' UD, OA, NAJ, NJP, OAP, HT, PT,
RE, CGC, TT, TDI, NAC, HCT, ASCA UD,TC, PAM, DD

UKC CDX  'Forever' CDX, RE, OAP, NJP, ASCA CD, CGC, HIC, TC, TDI

UKC CH.  'Far' CD, TDI, CGC, HIC, ASCA CD

UKC CD AGII 'Terra' CD,  HT, NA, NAJ, RE, HIC, ASCA CD, NAC
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge