[ SHOWGSD-L ] EXPANDED > Natural Balance recall - all dates

  • From: shirley sommers <ssthunderpony@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:08:14 -0700 (PDT)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Pacoima, CA -- April 17, 2007--
Natural Balance, Pacoima, CA, is issuing a voluntary nationwide recall for ALL
of its Venison dog products and the dry Venison cat food ,

regardless of date codes.

The recalled products include
Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods,
Venison and Brown Rice dog treats,
and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.

Recent laboratory results show that the products do contain melamine.

We believe the source of the melamine is a rice protein concentrate.

Natural Balance has confirmed this morning that some production batches of
these products may contain melamine.

The recall was prompted by consumer complaints received by Natural Balance
involving a small number of cats and dogs that developed kidney failure after
eating the affected product.

Dogs or cats who have consumed the suspect food and show signs of kidney
failure (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting) should be seen by a
veterinarian. We recommend our customers immediately stop feeding our recalled
venison products regardless of date code and return unused product to their
retailer for a full refund.

The products are packaged in bags, cans and zip lock treat bags and sold in pet
specialty stores and PetCo nationally.

No other Natural Balance products are involved in this voluntary recall as none
of our other formulas include the rice protein concentrate.

Although the problems seem to be focused on a particular production period of
the venison products, over the last four days we have notified our distributors
and retailers by phone and e-mail to immediately stop selling and return all
recalled Venison dog foods and treats and the Venison dry cat food. Venison
canned cat food is not involved.
The source of the melamine appears to be a rice protein concentrate, which was
recently added to the dry venison formulas. Natural Balance does not use wheat
gluten, which was associated with the previous melamine contamination.

None of Natural Balance?s other dry formulas, none of our other canned or roll
products and none of our other treats are involved with this voluntary recall.
We continue to work closely with the FDA in their ongoing investigation.
Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-829-449 or email
[e-mail:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx].

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.