[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: EPI ...what?

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: helenfranklin520@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:50:40 -0400

Quick/layman's answer.? EPI is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency.? Basically,
the part of the pancreas that supplies digestive enzymes, atrophies or dies.?
Thus, the dog cannot properly digest food and obtain the nutrients needed to
survive.? The dog, literally, starves to death.? It is treatable?and the
success rate is better if the dog is older?when it presents.? My experience has
been with EPI presenting at exactly 3ys of age.? I have an excellent
treatment/diet program that?is now being tested at Texas A&M.? You can email me
privately for more info.
When and who introduced it in the Breed is unknown.? However, it does effect
GSD's more than any other breed.? It has been in the breed for well over those
20yrs.? Texas A&M is working on a genetic marker for EPI.? I have worked with
them quite a bit with my girl.?

For those lucky enough never to have had to deal with it,?thank your lucky
stars and your non-carrying lines.???This is a scary thing for one to
experience.? It is very hard to watch your dog starve and nothing you do
works.? Thank?Goodness I have a vet who knows GSD's and recognized the
symptoms.? It's still a constant battle to?keep weight on her but she is
thriving and still has her zest for life.????

Laura Thomas