[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ENLARGED SPLEEN--please help--???

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:49:17 EDT

I lost two of my beloved BJ's dogs to Haemangiosarcoma of the spleen and
yes it does come on very quickly, and once it is diagnosed, it is probably
too  late to do anything since this type of cancer metastasizes VERY quickly
to other  blood rich organs (heart, etc.).

Ginny did a wonderful write up for the Review a while back....

You might want to do an ultrasound to get a better feel for the
diagnosis...I know this type of surgery can be done laporoscopically, but then
again,
you are back to the "how far has it spread" question...and are you  putting
her through surgery for a another month or two...

I'm so sorry.  If I can offer you any consolation, they don't  suffer.
They feel a little "punk" like we would before coming down w/ the  flu.  Keep
an eye on her gum color.  You'll know the situation is  getting worse as her
gums become more pale.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 7/27/2009 3:19:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cheradongsd@xxxxxxx writes:

Hello,
I am very upset-been crying all weekend.? My most precious  love, Jenna,
-who is more human than dog--so super smart--so loving--and who  owns me and a
huge portion of my heart--was just diagnosed with an "enlarged  spleen".?
She is 9 yrs old.? she was spayed on May 22, 2009--just 2 months  ago.? Her
surgery seems to have healed fine, my vet said there were no other
abnormalities in there when she did the surgery-no signs of tumors or
cancer--(although her overies were HUGE-and covered with cysts--but no sign of
cancer or
tumors there.)

She has been very normal, eating, playing,  just being her normal happy
self.? For the past week or so I have noticed that  she seems to have a small
"belly" --fullness--in her abdomen that I feel  shouldnt be there-sort of
like she just ate a big meal or?had a big poop  there-but it has been there for
a week or so.? So I took her to my vet on  Sat--she felt her and said it
was rather hard and felt like her spleen-she  took an xray--and showed me that
her spleen is enlarged--maybe 4 times or so  what it should be.? She showed
me an xray of another dog who was?normal  and?that?spleen is quite a bit
smaller than Jenna's.

I know that GSD  for some reason have a larger spleen than other breeds--no
one seems to know  why--but Jenna's is quite a bit larger than it should be.

Of course I  said we have to operate and get it out of there-I was told it
could rupture  and that would be VERY bad-I was told it is probably
malignant--cancer--and  that her chances dont look real good.? For it to be
that big
only since May 22  is rather frightening.
I was given an estimate of between $700 and $1,300  for the surgery.? I am
still paying for the damn spay--which was $840 so I  still owe on that--

I dont know what to do.

There must be  someone out there who has dealt with spleen problems.?
Because it is that big  only since May--does that mean it is probably cancer
and
even if we do the  operation, I will lose her within a short time anyway?

Jenna's mother  is now 11--she had spleenic torsion about 3 yrs ago-we
operated and removed  the spleen--she is fine.? happy, healthy and normal.

?Please--I need  some info on this.? I am dying inside to think that I
might lose my precious  Jenna soon.
I dont know how I can live without her.

Cheri  Hunt----Cheradon Shepherds
Home of Ch. Cheradon AchtungErynbrook Molokai,  TC, OFA H&E, PA,TH,CA, Eyes
Cert. and Certificate of Health Merit  Excellent from the GSDCA (aka Ch.
Mikey)

?

POST  is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org

**************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your
score. See now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823322x1201398723/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgI